TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
underdrives and j-mod.

You don't want to do gears unless you can do a chip and a driveshaft at the same time. You feel like having the driveshaft come apart at highway speeds or hit your limiter at 87mph?

cold air intake isn't worth much on these cars either.

·
Registered
726 Posts
An intake tube should be very high on your list too, the stock ones sucks massive. You can make one from the cheap civic tubes found at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx for the heads up average joe, i have a chip on order, so if i get the 3:73 gears i have to replace my driveshaft too?
how much do they usually cost? i thinking doing the steedas and j-mod first, but living in canada can be costly for mods once u convert to canadian dollars:mad: for example my local performance place quoted me 350 for addco sway bars

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from superchips and go figure it doesnt work i have to send it back, looks like im looking about a 1000-1200 bucks for the gears and driveshaft put in, id have to pay someone to install them, i might wait till spring to do that mod, living in canada with the winters here i think im gonna try storing my cougar for the winter so basically i only have about 3-4 months of driving before i store it, oh and i have a custom catback flowmasters, i should see about that intake, thx for the info

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Well many people run a stock drive shaft with the 3.73 gears. But it is wise to get a new one because your stock one will more easily be likely to fail with the 3.37s.
The Chip, Maybe you can get your money back? You should try a chip from www.fordchip.com or www.apten-us.com. The chips will be much better then any stupid(super)chip.

I would do:
-J-mod
-intake (Richard M, then if you want a cone you can put it on and if you want it in the fender you can do that with $30 of stuff from homedepot rather then a $150 kit).
-UD Pullies
-Chip or gears. If you see yourself doing gears sometime near the chip then do it around the same time. If you think it will be a while before you can tackle the gears then the chip will help a lot and you can get it reprogrammed later on.

if you wanna do more from here, some options are:
-Exhaust, catbacks are pretty good. I like the Dynomax one. If you really want the sound louder you can do a flowmaster. D-$200/F-$270. Or a full exhaust for $400-1000
-Mark 8 torque converter. Will help launching the car off the line.

good luck,
-Shawn

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx for the responces, this is sorta stupid question but what do torque converters do? i think i have a pretty good idea but not for sure, will it give my car more torque?
how much do they run for?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
torque converters are the connection between the engine and the automatic transmission. They act as a sort of automatic clutch. Have you ever stepped on the brake with yur left foot and brought up the rpms with yuor right? Getting a "bigger" or hihgher "stall" converter will allow those rpms to climb higher. In a race, it'll aloow you to launch with a hgiher rpm is their biggest factor.

·
8,239 Posts
first mod should be a mark converter, or a multidisc 3500 converter.

Second mod should be a tune and 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Those three things make for a 14 second car.

JH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts