TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lLiving here in the land of Arnold Schwarzenegger (Caleefornia), there are strict vehicle emissions testing
that each car has to go through every 2 years in order to get the vehicle registered. If I did some mods such as replacing the MAF, removing the Air Intake Silencer or installing headers
etc., would it pass the emissions test?

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
I could be wrong (no emissions BS out here), but I think they do a visual inspection and if they'd see headers, I'd bet it'd fail.

But again, I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The title to your thread is a little vague. You might try chiming in on this one:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31471.

Ask your question there or PM Lonnie. Legally you can't do much, if anything. You might get away with it, but if you don't, you toss all that money out the window...

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
I wouldn't risk touching the headers, unless you have a personal friend that works at a smog shop and can "overlook" them. By the letter of the law /any/ modification to the exhaust system is illegal and can cause your car to fail smog unless there is a specific exemption sited by CARB or if the part is certified CARB Legal. AFAIK JBA headers are the only CARB legal headers available for the Thunderbird. But due to their cracking issues, I can't suggest them. That leaves your only option to extrude hone your stock manifolds or find a friend in the SMOG industry.

I removed my intake silencer and I've been smogged with it off. I passed. Unless the guy gets really nosey, lifts your filter and takes exception to the fact that there's an open hole in your fender, you're okay. IOW, unless the guy is a total prick that likes to go beyond the law, you're fine.

As far as the MAF is concerned, I don't know. What I have heard is that an aftermarket chip will cause the computer to throw a code. And since a chip is required to run a different MAF, you'll be throwing a code at the time of the smog test and I believe that's an automatic failure, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure if this is the case should the chip have a factory position setting. Also, a MAF is kinda hard to look at and say, "Ah-hah! This doesn't belong here!" So unless there's a code pointing to the MAF, or the guy starts cross-referencing part numbers..you'll be okay. I'm almost tempted to ask for people to give some input on "good" Smog Places in California.. yanno.. the lazy kind. Make it a sticky of some sort ;)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
There are legal things you can do, they will have a CARB exemption number.

Aren't JBA's 50 state legal?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
As far as the MAF is concerned, I don't know. What I have heard is that an aftermarket chip will cause the computer to throw a code. And since a chip is required to run a different MAF, you'll be throwing a code at the time of the smog test and I believe that's an automatic failure, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure if this is the case should the chip have a factory position setting. Also, a MAF is kinda hard to look at and say, "Ah-hah! This doesn't belong here!" So unless there's a code pointing to the MAF, or the guy starts cross-referencing part numbers..you'll be okay. I'm almost tempted to ask for people to give some input on "good" Smog Places in California.. yanno.. the lazy kind. Make it a sticky of some sort ;)
I asked SCT about this, if you get the EEC reflashed and dont use a chip you can avoid the code problem... I checked since PA will soon be doing smog checks... Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Pick up a spare EEC somewhere and have that reflashed -it'll save you the downtime :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts