TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here.. I have a 96 Cougar in which my right front turn signal has moisture inside the lense. I've asked around at the local Ford dealer and was told I would have replace the complete turn signal assembly. my question... is that absolutely necessary? If so, how does one go about taking it out and re-installing? It doesn't look to hard but I don't want to break anything. Thanx for any help fellas.

·
Registered
250 Posts
fairly easy to take out. just pop the hood and there are 2 (maybe 3) nuts to take off the screws holding the assembly in. i heard you could just drill a small "breather" hole in the lamp to keep it from fogging it up.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
There are only two nuts. Sorry don't remember size.

Take off the turn signal, and put in the sun for an afternoon. then re-connect it...if the moiste returns, THEN you need a new signal.

You said right side...that could be taken as either the driver or passenger. I have a driver's side in great condition. Need to get rid of it...$15 shipped.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I pulled the turn signal lense and cleaned it up. Found a small crack in the cover right where it hugs the fender. I'm thinking this may be causing the condensation inside the lense. Oh, right front - referring to passenger side... sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had the same problem. I had a small crack. To fix it. I drilled 2 small holes on the top so over time (a few rainless days) the moisture would evaporate. Once it did, I used a very small amount of clear silicone RTV on the two holes I drilled & fixed the small crack in the lens with superglue. No one would ever notice the repair & after about 10months it is still dry inside.

cup

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I drilled a single small hole in the bottom... No sealant afterwards-- and no problems either... It's an easy fix and definately does not warrant buying a new housing.

PJ

·
11,719 Posts
PJ-4.2L said:
I drilled a single small hole in the bottom... No sealant afterwards-- and no problems either... It's an easy fix and definately does not warrant buying a new housing.

PJ
they come sealed from the factory for a reason.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What's the reason, Greenbird? To keep moisture out? Wow, they did a great job, didn't they?

PJ

·
11,719 Posts
PJ-4.2L said:
What's the reason, Greenbird? To keep moisture out? Wow, they did a great job, didn't they?

PJ
See how long it takes before yourn signal gets all dirty inside. Mine only took six months before it looked so sh*tty i went out and bought one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
an easier way

Just pour some rubbing alcohol inside the lens, swish around, dump it out, and blow the inside of the lens with some compressed air. The alcohol will evaporate faster than the water. Problem solved.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
my .02

Here is my view. I replaced my oe headlights with new ones (to compliment my clear corners and to get rid of the yellow). The oe ones don't have a breather hole. The new ones have one with a one inch (in lenght not width) rubber hose out the back of it. Bottom line: oe ones had moisture in them; new ones dont.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts