TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work PT at O'R and have seen over the past several months many of our TB parts being discontinued. The most alarming parts are the front struts and the fuel pump assembly - yes FP.

I managed to locate a pair of Monroe front struts, but I am not sure of the difference between the Econo-matic and Quick-Struts. Can someone post the difference between these two struts.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Matic plus is junk, don't even bother. Quick struts/shocks....eh. I'm pretty sure they use OE Spectrum shocks, which is okay if you like spongy, stock handling. No real information on the springs they use with the quick strut/shock assemblies. I'd rather go for KYB Gas-a-just, if possible. Or....if Tokico restarted their production on the blue shocks again, those work very well. I had those on mine and liked them for the front. Fuel pump is still available, Walbro GSS340 is what you'd want. Easy swap.

I am a store manager for Pep Boys.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
484 Posts
I can't speak to those differences.

The first time I did my front shocks they were OE replacements and did not improve much. It just reduced the boing, boing, boing boing down to about two boings.(pretty technical eh?)

Later I did lowering springs with new Tokiko's up front and sport Bilsteins in the rear. I bet most of the ride improvement I got came from the shocks. I wish I had had the time and parts to try the shocks first. Luckily I got the springs cheap.

I doubt my springs needed replacement. My car has had only me in it to weigh it down the last 15 years so the springs were not that bad. There wasn't much wear on any of the passenger seats either so the previous owners probably did not load it down either.

I would only get the OE shocks if no improvements were planned for the car and the old ones are shot. I got about 7 years of floaty cruising out of my first replacement set and that was about 40k miles. You don't want to throw money at a rusty old pig either. Stiffer shocks seemed to be a great way to add some sport to the Tbird ride though. A lot less floaty at highway speeds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question: I bought a number of TB suspension parts because O'R is withdrawing them from stock. But, my question is how can a suspension with 121,000 miles only bounce once at the front and rear and then return to normal height? The TB drives great or at least it seems to me. Hard to believe that original Ford struts and shocks are still good at 121,000 miles, but they still seems to be good? Puzzled? :|

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Nothing you're going to buy is as good as the OEM sport shocks.

If the shocks are good, I'd keep using them.

Putting anything less expensive than the Tokico Blues is going to be a disappointment in comparison to the oem shocks you have.

The Blues are slightly better than the oem non-sports.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Can you still get OEM sport shocks?

Al

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I was lucky enough to buy a new set of rear sport shocks off a member here for my Cougar. I want to replace the fronts so I tracked down a set of Monroe Reflex. They are supposedly close to OEM sport shocks. They have not been made in a long time but once and a while a new old stock set comes up on Ebay or Amazon.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
If it helps anyone these are the Reflex part numbers -

921965 rear
931845 front

I don't see any for sale right now unfortunately. I saw a set on ebay a few months ago and almost bought them just to have an extra set of shocks

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Nothing you're going to buy is as good as the OEM sport shocks.

If the shocks are good, I'd keep using them.

Putting anything less expensive than the Tokico Blues is going to be a disappointment in comparison to the oem shocks you have.

The Blues are slightly better than the oem non-sports.
Can you further explain what you mean here? Are you saying that the Blues aren't as good as the sports shocks? I'm asking because I'm planning on buying these and was under the impression from all the other reading I've been doing that they're better than the sports shocks, but not as good as the Bilsteins (sp?). If what you're saying here is true, then perhaps I should save up an extra hundred and plan for a Bilsteins / Tokico Illumina combo...?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Sorry to be unclear. :)

You can't get any of the original shocks. :(

IMHO, the ranking is: (I've own/owned these shocks on mn12s) (Exc. Bilsteins, they're on order, see S4gunns thread)

Koni No longer available
Bilstein No longer available; mustang IRS vert rears work
Tokico Blues Best available
Gabriel Sensatracks Lasted 3 years, comfy-cushy
Monroe something lasted 1 year, never great.

Konis and bilsteins would hold up to the sport springs; nothing else really does for too long.

The Tokico shock and lowering spring kit have lasted 6 years, and are still good-.
With the lowering springs, there are clearance issues in places. :) Like jacking the car up, lol...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Tokico Illuminas (white, adjustable) are available as well. Where would you place those in your list? Between Blues and Bilstein, as good as the Bilstein, between Bilstein and Koni, or.....?

I have my 1.6" drop Vogtlands not too long ago, just need to gather a few more bits for install. I do however, have experience of dropped cars compliments of my 1.5" drop from my Eibachs on my DD, "Dirty Girl", so I know all about having clearance issues :).

It sounds as though, the Vogtlands and the Tokico Blues I'll be getting to compliment them will still be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Tokico Illuminas (white, adjustable) are available as well. Where would you place those in your list? Between Blues and Bilstein, as good as the Bilstein, between Bilstein and Koni, or.....?

It sounds as though, the Vogtlands and the Tokico Blues I'll be getting to compliment them will still be just fine.
Tokico Illuminas; I haven't owned them, so it's not for me to say.

They are expensive, and I have other options. :)

Someone here should be able to place them, tho.

The voghtlands; I think those were what I got with my Tokicos. I dislike the variable part of the springs; I have to 'set' them into corners.

And I have to park it on ramps to get the jack under it, lol.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
1 - 13 of 13 Posts