TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
does anyone have exp. with the monster in a box rebild kits? and would they be recommended?

my tranny is making a wierd gargling noise in third and forth.... i'm sure it's shot to he77 so I'm looking at options with a blower in mind

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
Link to the kit?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
All hype, the Jerry W. Spec build is as good if not better then what you get in the box, with OEM part reliability.

My F150 has the monster in a box SS kit, eventually I'll be building a Jerry W. Spec trans for it just like I did for my 97 bird. The only thing I dislike about the MIAB SS kit is the Fairbanks shift kit, and their choice of frictions/steels. The things I do like about it, are most of the parts (if not all of the parts) you'll need are there. The SS kit has the mechanical diode clutch, instead of the roller clutch. I just worry about the longevity of the kit. I don't think I'd install one personally since I have 3 really good independent transmission parts houses near me that can get the OEM parts to do the 350-450 J-Spec Build but if you don't have something like that the MIAB kit MIGHT be a good solution for you.

A seperator plate drilled to Jerry's specs or ordered from RobertP with sonnax valvebody upgrade parts would be the better choice over the Fairbanks kit in my opinion.

My truck came with the MonsterInABox SS kit installed 3 months prior to me buying it due to forward drum clutch failure due to bad lip seals, the MIAB SS kit was the best option for a performance 100% rebuild at the time for the previous owner of my truck.

It feels good, but I'm just not 100% sold on it compared to my built J-Spec trans in my 97 DOHC Thunderbird.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info....whats the overall cost for a 450 J-spec build?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
About the same, plus a good newer core (98+ = Good) (03+ = Better) however there are modifications that have to be made and some old parts must be reused like the stock output shaft. Unless you switch to a speed cal unit, and the outer planetary ring gear on the 03+.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bought the monster in a box SS kit. supposedly safely handles 650 hp. we'll see, I'll post picks when it comes

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Monster in a box, ain't crap, all oem parts for a 02- up with it beefed up will handle prolly closer to 900 flywheel hp, just ask me how I know, and I plan to push it closer to 900 rwhp

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought beefing up the components was the point if the kit. Anyway got the kit and have pics but don't seem to be technologically savvy enough to post them from my phone. Effin noobs also says I can't post attachments maybe that's why. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong with the pics?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
For anybody that is considering doing this kind of overhaul........ I'd highly recommend figuring a way to get the case to stand upright. Reassembling the clutch packs and gears with the case lying down ina backyard is not fun.
Here you go. While it's not my pic, this is how I do it and it works fine.

Pic courtesy of explorerforum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brilliant.... Except my teksid is on the motor mount

1 - 14 of 14 Posts