TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOOG Front UCA “pending obsolescence”?

I ordered a set of MOOG front upper control arms today from my local Parts Plus. They commented that those parts were labled as “pending obsolescence” in their system. Not sure what that may mean....

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I ordered a set of MOOG front upper control arms today from my local Parts Plus. They commented that those parts were labled as “pending obsolescence” in their system. Not sure what that may mean....
Id say that most cars nowadays are "pending obsolescence" when they leave the dealership :)
-g

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pending obsolescence:
I think Moog means they have or will stop making these parts.

Recently Rock Auto was selling Moog lower front ball joints for $5.00 each. I jumped on that and also some upper a frames at a good price. These were their premium parts too.
At the same time I also bought a set of Fel Pro premium valve stem seals for $10.00

I'll bet sales have fallen for Cougar/Thunderbird parts. The Pick a Part near me is going to crush their inventory of these cars soon. They are pretty stripped now.

Richard

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I think you're right. It may be the beginning of the end for production on some of these parts. Too bad those don't interchange with any cars outside the MN12/FN10 realm.

No telling how much longer they will be available at retailers, though. Some might stock up and have inventory for a while. Back in 2015, I bought some TRW tie-rod ends on closeout at RockAuto. Looks like they've still got 'em, still on closeout...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm near Houston, and the yards around here that I called recently said they hadn't seen one of these cars in a long time.

It's been many years since I've seen another MN-12 on the roads around here, and the Houston area is a pretty big place. I see a lot of old Caddy's, Benz's, 'Stangs, trucks, etc., but not our cars.
My '96 Bird occasionally earns a double take. It isn't showroom perfect, but it's rare enough that people take notice and a lot of them don't even know what they're looking at until they see the rear emblem.

The discontinuation of aftermarket parts will only increase in scope.
Reduced parts availability (including used) = fewer of the cars on the road = less demand for parts = aftermarket manufacturers lose interest = new parts supply also drying up = fewer of them on the road... death spiral. It's not like the MN-12 has huge collectible value like old Mustangs and Vettes, for example.

Sure, there will be some NOS sources here and there for a while longer, but those will dry up.
My Bird has around 94k on it, body is in decent shape, car is far from worn out, but I know I'll face the dreaded NLA on more and more mechanical and electrical components as time goes on.

I'll be moving, and may finally let go of my Bird rather than ship across country. I also will need a truck. After having the car since new 22 years ago, and considering it's still in reasonable shape, it'd break my heart to have it end up in a salvage yard. If I can't sell it whole, maybe I can part it out, but I dunno how much interest there will be.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I got the last upper on one side from Rockauto last week. I also got the next to last lower on one side. These are the premium grade R series, the lowers have TRW stamped on the arm and look identical to OEM.
Soon we will have to rebuild them or go for a lesser brand. These cars are over 20 years old and only for TBirds/Cougars.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockauto has "1 left" for the heavy duty ACDelco right UCA. Another trick for the short term is to get one for a Mark VIII. It is the same with the addition of a small mount for the ride height sensor. Those are currently in stock.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Another truck for the heavy duty ACDelco Right / Left UCA is to order two of the same side, and then press out the ball joint and press it in upside down.....ask me how I know this.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
The ACDelco ones have a replaceable ball joint, that is used on a bunch of cars, even Chevys.

The gold looking ones.

I guess I need to get another set soon. :(

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
The way I drive, most of the time the inner bushings fail before the actual ball joint does, so being able to replace just the ball joint doesn't do me any good.

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Huh... guess it's a good thing I just replaced all 4 on my 2 cars... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
If you Had to, you could get new bushings made from poly.

Someone told me the OG SC ones had different bushings that were bigger, but those went away in the early 00's.

I'm looking at 10 more years out of these cars, at least, I hope.

I hope to wear out first, lol.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The ACDelco ones have a replaceable ball joint, that is used on a bunch of cars, even Chevys.

The gold looking ones.

I guess I need to get another set soon. :(
The sad part is that the ball joint costs almost as much as a whole new arm.

Guess I future-proofed my ride here though with pressable ball joints, so long as ACDelco continues to make this size ball joint.....just need a PN for the ball joint.

bushings are easier to improvise with, those AC delco ones having a universal pressable ball joint is the next best thing to custom tubular arms for long term ownership if quality replacements disappear
Again, will need a PN for the bushings in order to purchase more in the future.

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
The sad part is that the ball joint costs almost as much as a whole new arm.

Guess I future-proofed my ride here though with pressable ball joints, so long as ACDelco continues to make this size ball joint.....just need a PN for the ball joint.

Again, will need a PN for the bushings in order to purchase more in the future.
Here is the part number for the ball joint: ACDelco 45D0114 @Amazon

Bushings are a different story.

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
I've learned to cast poly, so getting someone who's good to make them shouldn't be too hard.

It will be expensive, tho; the materials alone in less than 55 gallon quantities is about $45 a gallon.

I learned how to make shuttle rocket boosters this summer, lol.

They're filled poly. :) (Poly filled with rocket fuel.)

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
I've learned to cast poly, so getting someone who's good to make them shouldn't be too hard.

It will be expensive, tho; the materials alone in less than 55 gallon quantities is about $45 a gallon.

They're filled poly. :) (Poly filled with rocket fuel.)
However, if you have a casting and you have a gallon of poly then you should be able to make quite a few of them with that gallon. I'll add it to my list of things to learn. :nerd:

·
Registered
408 Posts
But did you also learn how to make proper o-rings? :wink2:

Here's one outfit for custom runs: http://www.precisionurethane.com/polyurethane-bushings.html

Now someone tell me how we're supposed to find real rubber replacements for the big rear subframe bushings! Mine aren't shot, but it still bothers me to plan a whole rebuild job with everything new except for these.

There are people who fab new rubber pinch rollers and idler tires for electronics mechanisms (send in original metal core, get back perfect match rubber shell). I wonder if someone could be induced to fab larger parts. I imagine cost might be prohibitive, though. The little idler tires and pinch rollers cost around $30-50 a piece.

Yes, I know about https://www.supercoupeperformance.com/rear-subframe-bushing-kit-6061t6-aluminum-852 and those are quite pricey.

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
If I'm buying the last set of control arms, $50 for bushings isn't insane; and usually, that's the price for the first one.

Injection molded plastic parts are similar; the first one is ~$50k. :)

The second 10k are pennies apiece; cost of plastic, plus molding fee.

Making the mold is the expensive part. :)

But did you also learn how to make proper o-rings? :wink2:

Ultra black RTV works fairly well; my prototypes are only 1.5" long sections, E engine sized, lol.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
On the topic of the AC Delco arms: I live on a shitty dirt road and my passenger upper ball joint lasted maybe 30k miles before it gave up. I'm at 42k now and I finally ordered a replacement. I bought the entire arm because it's actually cheaper than the ball joint alone by ~$10. I'm planning to get it swapped out this weekend so I will be able to get some measurements on the bushings to be able to identify a replacement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts