TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, still at it I am. Been awhile gone. Still have the '95 & '92 Sport, '95 is up around 115,xxx miles now, loud squeak in front just started last few days when turning like at drive throughs, parking lot at hosp., etc. Got under it today, on ramps, wife turned wheel, I never heard LBJs squeak like that. Boots are shot, used a needle adapter to inject grease, was quiet afterwards so I feel that I'm on the right track. Looked at RockAuto, Moog K8477 LBJs on close out, just $6.24 each … I repeat … 6 dollars and 24 cents each. So I ordered two, with shipping, $22.13 puts them here.

I don't rely on car as sole transportation so I can wait.

Some where I have a pair of the same Moog LBJs I bought 7 or 8 years ago thinking the '92 maybe needed them (it didn't) … but at just $6.24 each … I ordered two more. Besides, the '92 might someday need them other two. Advance Auto Parts has a couple BJ press kits, I'll borrow one (I can leave a deposit) and then … no alignment needed just because of BJ replacement … whereas replacing LCAs would require an alignment.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And now, a few hours later, they are up to $21 and change each? Lucky hit.

Now they have been shipped. Wife took the '95 to run a short errand, NO SQUEAK. Guess that grease helped.

I also looked through some more places, found the pair of K8477s I recalled buying a few years back, if all goes well, catch a good day, might just do both Birds same day.

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Good to see you back!

I'm happy to hear you're still doing well, and the cars too. :)

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you Sir, I came here "looking" from time to time, but it's been a whirl wind last three years. Just this past year been able to get to doing stuff. Long story, but the Good Lord let me get through it.

Once upon a time, the '92 had near triple the miles as the '95 but not now. The '95 is closer as we've used it a lot more, but still that '92 Sport runs, drives, smooth as can be, steers great too with no clunks or looseness despite near 160K miles, no oil use either. '95 still likes a little sip of oil on occasion, but it's easy on gas.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Them new LBJs showed up today, boxes beat up but they are new and complete. $22.13 did it. Drove the '92 Thursday, low grade miss at low spered in OD, has MC copper plugs put in a few K ago, so guess I'm gonna put a set in.

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
If the plugs have 10k on them, they need to be dressed with a file; if you run coppers, that's normal.

I used to use my Mom's diamond fingernail file, lol.

I just run double platinums and forget about them for 10 years, or three sets of wires, whichever comes first. :)

Reactions: RalphP

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
If the plugs have 10k on them, they need to be dressed with a file; if you run coppers, that's normal.

I used to use my Mom's diamond fingernail file, lol.

I just run double platinums and forget about them for 10 years, or three sets of wires, whichever comes first. :)
Hee!

My Dakota runs plats because they were as cheap as copper when I bought being on sale. (Bosch +2s - cheap on sale, let me add.)

I like the idea behind the +2s, +4s, and E3s - but am aware there's no real life advantage to them (and some liabilities on a power adder system.) But eh. Dak has a 125HP V6 in it .. not like I'm going to be blowing flame out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RwP

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
All those plugs you mention are poison on our MN12's; the waste spark system kills 4 of them in ~10k miles.

Sooner if they have the tiny center electrodes. :)

I think it's the pass side, but ICRFS.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
All those plugs you mention are poison on our MN12's; the waste spark system kills 4 of them in ~10k miles.

Sooner if they have the tiny center electrodes. :)

I think it's the pass side, but ICRFS.
For the waste spark motors, yes.

ahem

Mine is the pushrod 5.0HO; dizzy with coil wires, not waste spark.

The Dakota is ALSO a dizzy/coil/wires design, so it's cool with single plats.

The 4.6 and SCs? Yah, better be dual plats or they will be dead as fast if not faster than copper.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
What's a distributor?

:)

It's been over 20 years for me, lol.

August 1999 or thereabouts.

I never worked on the Firebird or the Subaru after I got an MN12.

Gave the Subaru away for scrap, and sold the Firebird for what the young black kid had in his pocket; about $250, lol.

Crystal Pistol, for some reason I bet you do like Copper Plugs. :)

Reactions: CatMan76
1 - 10 of 10 Posts