TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm shopping for a set of matching Moog front LCAs. I'd prefer the greasable type as just about every other suspension component on my car is greasable by now.
This thread on LOD says stay away from the greasable ones.
This video explains that CK is the higher quality unit & is exactly the same as the K, and that all CKs are greasable and RKs are not.
RKs are supposed to cost less, yet they are depicted on RockAuto as if they have greasable fittings with a cotter pin style lock nut.
Problem is not a single store/website seems to know exactly what each type is supposed to look like, since they all use generic pictures.
Most show the CK to be a sealed unit, yet go on to describe how "their greasable socket layout allows new lubricant to flush contaminants from the arms"
And after all this, no one seems to be able to come up with a matching pair of arms. I am on a third set, ordered through three different vendors, and every single one managed to have been mismatched.
If all else fails, can anyone recommend a high quality set of greasable ball joints that would not be totally loose when I try to press them into my 15+ year old TRW LCAs (yes, I've seen that happen too). TIA for any useful info!

Jim

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Raybestos Professional grade

·
Registered
404 Posts
The ac Delco ones I purchased off rock auto in Feb both had fittings. I ordered come TRW ball joints to press in the old control arms and they both had fittings as well. I still like the sealed original units better considering they lasted 17 years. Grease fittings invite people to over do it and bust the boots. No big deal if you do all your own work though.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Raybestos Advanced Technology is the correct product line for the OE durability specification. The Professional Grade (several years ago) was the name for that lineup, but the last couple years that brand has been a mid-grade product.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Yeah, it's annoying that Raybestos changed their grade designations. I replaced my LCAs with good Raybestos ones last year, but instead of using the supplied zerk fittings, I bought some angled ones so I won't have to remove the wheel to use them.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Buy moog ck/k line ones from Oreillys. They get parts directly from moog, rockauto is a crapshoot for matching/correct parts. I love my ck moog parts, super beefy, and servicable.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
Raybestos Advanced Technology is the correct product line for the OE durability specification. The Professional Grade (several years ago) was the name for that lineup, but the last couple years that brand has been a mid-grade product.
This is exactly what I found. They have a better Ball Joint, which is replaceable.

...I replaced my LCAs with good Raybestos ones last year, but instead of using the supplied zerk fittings, I bought some angled ones so I won't have to remove the wheel to use them.
This is a nice tip, thanks!

BTW, the ACDELCO professional grade is the same as the raybestos; but you have to look at the ball joint to be sure.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately, there are no O'Reillys locations in my state, so it'll have to be another trial and error order. Their website shows the CK units to be sealed - non greasable.

Here are the 2 arms I received from RockAuto. I figured I'd throw these detailed pics together for future reference (I have a feeling I won't be the last one to struggle with this).

Shall we vote? In your opinion, which one is the genuine "CK" LCA?

80055 is the passenger side, and matches RockAuto's pictures of the cheaper RK series they currently sell for $30.79.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Back in the day when Moog's products were consistent I ordered a pair of LCAs from RA that actually matched. They looked like the one in your top pic. The OE TRWs are, obviously, the bottom.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not having any luck finding the Raybestos Advanced Technology LCAs. Professional Grade is rather common, however. 507-1397 & 507-1398 is what I came up with.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Here are the 2 arms I received from RockAuto. I figured I'd throw these detailed pics together for future reference (I have a feeling I won't be the last one to struggle with this).
I don't like the look of the dust boot in the top picture (the one with the greaseable Moog unit). What happens is that once assembled, the balloon-shaped boot gets squished to the point that it tries to form a crease around its circumference. After about one year, a tear will form all the way around the boot along that line.

The dust boot shown in the lower pic is superior.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I guess Rock Auto isn't shipping out the Canadian Moog arms -- are they even being made in Canada anymore?

I installed a USA-made and Canada-made mix several years ago. They're zerkless and AFAICT have had no issues, so I'd have no reservations about using Moog/TRW if I had to do them again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
No guys, they just ship whatever they can grab, the other arm is a TRW. Unless you order from pep boys or oreillys you're not gonna get matching moogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
It all depends on the luck of the draw. Mine were both identical and the "beefier" ones with the greaseable ball joint. And yeap the grease boot does bulge out, will probably end up replacing it, unless I'm able to my tubular control arm stuff before it tears ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts