TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the not to distant future I need to replace both upper & lower controll arms.

I'm on an Explorer forum and the consenses there is MOOG is not what they use to be and to avoid MOOG.

I will most likely get everything from RockAuto as local prices are outrageous.

O'Reilly's wants $97 ea for uppers and $100 ea for lowers in MOOG. You have to call for pricing on Motorcraft and are special order. Screw that.

So let me here your opinions. :)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
The consensus here is that it's either Moog or Motorcraft (TRW); everything else is a waste of money and time. So either Moog or Motorcraft - whichever you can get your hands on - will do just fine.

Tascaparts.com has pretty good prices on Motorcraft components, check them out too.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 XLT V8
975 Posts
In the not to distant future I need to replace both upper & lower controll arms.

I'm on an Explorer forum and the consenses there is MOOG is not what they use to be and to avoid MOOG.

I will most likely get everything from RockAuto as local prices are outrageous.

O'Reilly's wants $97 ea for uppers and $100 ea for lowers in MOOG. You have to call for pricing on Motorcraft and are special order. Screw that.

So let me here your opinions. :)
I went to O'Reillys in Kingsport TN and the TRW ones were $46/each

(Hint: If you remove the factory ones from your car, they are stamped TRW)

There's only maybe 3 companies that seem to make UCAs, the rest either rebuild or relabel.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O'Reilly's only listed MOOG, Motorcraft, Valucraft (their house brand) and Rareparts.

Both the MOOG & Motorcraft on RockAuto are neck & neck for price.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 XLT V8
975 Posts
Weird...down there at least they had valuecraft for ~$50 and the TRW ones listed as "OEM" and they were in a brown paper box.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
O'Reilly's only listed MOOG, Motorcraft, Valucraft (their house brand) and Rareparts.

Both the MOOG & Motorcraft on RockAuto are neck & neck for price.
Rockauto kinda sucks with LLT warranty! lol I found an old receipt from 2003 and was able to exchange the UCA under warranty at Advance. :D Just love it.
And, 2-3 years ago i started to take a copy of the actually receipt since they like to fade the ink.

-Maic

TRW is just fine, more with a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So what's the functional difference between TRW, Motorcraft, and the "house" brand?

I broke a tie rod end today (car slipped off the jack while before I could get the jack stand under it, fell on the jack stand, and broke the inner tie rod off. So, since I have to replace the tie rod, and get it aligned, I may as well do the upper and lower control arms to fix my noisy ball joints. I'm not racing the car, and I'm not opposed to buying what I can afford "right now" to replace it with better later on down the road.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what's the functional difference between TRW, Motorcraft, and the "house" brand?

I broke a tie rod end today (car slipped off the jack while before I could get the jack stand under it, fell on the jack stand, and broke the inner tie rod off. So, since I have to replace the tie rod, and get it aligned, I may as well do the upper and lower control arms to fix my noisy ball joints. I'm not racing the car, and I'm not opposed to buying what I can afford "right now" to replace it with better later on down the road.
I've been down that road as well as others I'm sure. Buy quality and do it once. It will cost more to do it twice within a couple years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know this has been discussed in great detail already.....so we don't really need to start that up again....but, what about the UCAs and LCAs (and other suspension parts) from supercoupeperformance.com ? Haven't I read on here that they are also good quality parts? They seem to be fairly priced with a good warranty, etc.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I know this has been discussed in great detail already.....so we don't really need to start that up again....but, what about the UCAs and LCAs (and other suspension parts) from supercoupeperformance.com ? Haven't I read on here that they are also good quality parts? They seem to be fairly priced with a good warranty, etc.
My only issue with bill at scp is he refuses to release what brand they are, and I refuse to trusy my life to cheap junk. So until he releases what brand they are I can't justify buying them. All he says about them is the aren't cheap eBay junk, hard to know that 100% without knowing the brand. I run moog on my own car currently.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
My only issue with bill at scp is he refuses to release what brand they are, and I refuse to trusy my life to cheap junk. So until he releases what brand they are I can't justify buying them. All he says about them is the aren't cheap eBay junk, hard to know that 100% without knowing the brand. I run moog on my own car currently.
SCP front end parts from Bill are what's on the 95 you now have...I agree fully...always wanted to know what they where...I can't say I wouldn't buy them again, as long as they last, but I had them on the car less than a year...they've been on that car for a year and a half now, how are they holding up?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
SCP front end parts from Bill are what's on the 95 you now have...I agree fully...always wanted to know what they where...I can't say I wouldn't buy them again, as long as they last, but I had them on the car less than a year...they've been on that car for a year and a half now, how are they holding up?
Are those the sUPER THiCK, made in China junk ones ???

·
Registered
492 Posts
Last time I did mine I used Energy Suspension and they worked great, next time thats who I'll be using..

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Are those the sUPER THiCK, made in China junk ones ???
I can't remember...they had no castings on them as far as lettering brands, etc. from what I recall....could not identify and he won't tell so who knows...I don't know what I'll use on this car yet...

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
Over the past few months I've heard a few people giving SCP a bad rap. From what I've seen, the prices are high and the part quality is unknown - As Chris said above, Bill has been known to get hostile and defensive when asked for the brands of the parts he sells. I'd just steer clear as a whole; I would never go out and buy mystery parts for my car.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Over the past few months I've heard a few people giving SCP a bad rap. From what I've seen, the prices are high and the part quality is unknown - As Chris said above, Bill has been known to get hostile and defensive when asked for the brands of the parts he sells. I'd just steer clear as a whole; I would never go out and buy mystery parts for my car.
well they are good for some things though...it's not all bad...my big 650.00 parts shipment for the front end rebuild was missing...something, I can't remember what exactly, and when I called he sort of acted like he didn't believe me, it was something like I was missing ONE swaybar end link...he sent a new one out, but he sounded reluctant and unhappy about it...so that was kind of unfortunate...on the bright side I did receive the part within a couple days...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've been down that road as well as others I'm sure. Buy quality and do it once. It will cost more to do it twice within a couple years.
Well I priced everything up and I simply can't afford to buy everything. So I'm replacing the inner tie rod with a locally purchased TRW unit and getting a cheapie alignment on it. Then I'll save up for the upper and lower control arms and put them on and get it realligned later.

Speaking of upper and lower arms, I know one of my rear arms is bad on the passenger side, but I can't find them on RockAuto.com. Anyone know what to look for?

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
There aren't any ball joints or control arms to replace on the rear, just look for replacement bushings. If one of the arms is physically damaged you'll need to take one off a donor car.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There aren't any ball joints or control arms to replace on the rear, just look for replacement bushings. If one of the arms is physically damaged you'll need to take one off a donor car.
They're not damaged as far as I know, just loose. You can wiggle the wheel.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I was looking to replace all of my front bushings and went "screw it" after I realized that buying all of the bushings separate was more expensive than buying new control arms.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts