TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen jk89cat's thread '92 tbird dash swap now in progress' where when he had everything gutted out, the rear passanger floor was rusted out and it has come to be that it's from the moonroof drainage canals.. my moonroof gasket is shrunk and has leaked a few times and my questions are:

1. Is it possible I have/can have a rust issue there?

2. Should I block up the canals to avoid the issue/further damage?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is not easy but if you drop the headliner carefully and look in the front conners you will see two drain hoses which goes down the A-post and out the front fender behind the wheels. The two in the rear are at the end of the tracks and the hoses should go down the C-post and drains out the front of the rear wheels. The drains may have been moved or clogged. I was getting water in my car found out that it was the windshield that was leaking.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only leak I know 100% sure of is where the passanger puts their feet but I have a floor mat and on top of that is a rubber floor mat and then a thick towel which prevents my rugs from getting destroyed and I could swear its comming in where the windshield and that black peice meet because my black peice there is pretty beat, my dad took it off a while back and siliconed all the way across.. no help.. I just hope it isn't causing any hidden rust ... but as for the moonroof I wanna know if anyone knows about that rust spot in jk89cat's thread listed above.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know atleast what the chances are that the moonroof canals are making the water run back there?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not knowing the history of your vehicle its hard to say. Someone could have done work around the drain tubes or moved them. What I would do is have someone take a hose and put water to it to see if it leaks check around the windshield the moon roof also around windows and doors.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
The problem with my car was that the drains were clogged. That was making the water pool up in the moonroof area, and then drip down into the car. I used some insulated electrical wire and shoved it down the duct until the water started draining down to the ground. My front ducts emptied right behind the front wheels.

-Joel

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
rjstat, your having water on the rh front floor, your windsheild isnt probally the culprit, its more than likely coming out of the heater case. i has this issue with the 89 and your 91 might of not has this tsb done either, the tsb has you add a rainhat on the fresh air intake and silicone the seam around the openign of the panel to maek sure water is not gettign in, this tsb is going to have you replace the rh cowel panel as well, i need to actually check out my dads 92 car, becasue since the dash swap i noticed a leak. it could also be a plugged evaporator drain for the a/c , water leaks are the most irritating thing to fix. ill try t dig up that tsb for you tommarow while i am at work, justin

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have to get that tsb done too because I have to keep a thick thirsty towel on the floor under the glove box when it rains. What areas would get rusted from the constant water leakage over time? I was gonna drop the glove box and look around in there because I could have sworn I saw freckles of rust back there..

EDIT: Here is the tsb for the cowl leak: http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-techinfo/tsb/tsb-91-15-1.pdf

Thanks GODSPEED, i'll check my canals for clogging.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well , the dash frame gets flash rust from the change in temps. but there shouldnt be any noticeable rust from his unless it has been going on for so long that it has taken out the rh front floor. have your dad or someone hose the car down with you in it , have the glove box out and see if it is dripping out of the area where the blower motor reisitor is . i bet it is. i will make sure i get the tsb for you tomamrow

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I ironically found the tsb early today but thank you so much for all your help dude! This weekend I'm going to look underneath my carpet to look for any damage.

EDIT: I posted a thread asking how to drop a glovebox on 89-93s and no answers, I know you've dismantled your 92 interior for the 94+ interior upgrade, can you tell me how? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
beign every mn12 i have owned is 89-93 , i can tel you how to take it apart, you have to remove the few screws holdign on the lower cover, 2 or 3 , then you jsut undo the 3 screws holding the hinge on at the botom and it comes right off

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was but that was caused from me removing the cowling to install the new hood and water was just pouring it to the heater box problem solved windshield company came out reinstalled the windshield put the cowling back on and no leaks. Thanks jk89cat

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
no problem

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welp, I pulled back my rug and.. yeah found a little lake with wires in the water.. i got the water out and to my luck the rust is in it early stages so it can be fixed. I want to fix it now but I want to get the parts for that tsb.. can we just go to a Ford dealer to get it?

PS- I have pics but I'm not exactly sure how to post 'em..

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
your better off going thru the parts channel here

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The FordPartsCounter guy? or..

·
Registered
5,978 Posts