TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another problem i keep having. If i'm at a stand still or a slow roll and i slam on the gas when it reaches about 30mph the engine will rev up and the speed will barely move. Then it will kick in and then it will go. And also i used to be able to do some really good power brakes. But now when i try them you can hear the car is really bogging down. Any kind of help would be great.

·
Registered
491 Posts
the first problem sounds like the torque converter in the transmission is slipping some. not sure. if that's what it is, have a full flush of the transmission fluids done and have them replaced with mercon v. install a transmission cooler. 24000gvw recommended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had the tranny flushed already and new tranny fluid put in. Where's a good place to buy a tranny cooler. And what kind a torque converter is the best for a 96 couagr.

·
Registered
491 Posts
B&M makes plenty of good models. I believe the Supercooler line has an integrated thermostat which bypasses the cooler to prevent overcooling and to let the fluid warm up on startup and on cold days. It is also a stacked plate design, which is superior to the tube and fin design for its improved heat transfer capabilities. You can order one through Summit or Jegs. If you wish to upgrade your torque converter, you should go with the Mercury Marauder torque converter. It will allow for better jumps off the line. I believe it is a bit stronger (due to furnace brazed fins i believe). If yours is not damaged and you are not looking for performance improvements, save your money. Although I believe you can get the marauder torque converter through dan newman for 100 if you send in your old one. Don't quote me on that price as it may have changed. ALso you will need the accompanying flexplate that bolts to the converted and the crankshaft to make it all fit. It is not expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts