TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had new upper ball joints and stab bar links put in, along with a 4 wheel alignment. The bird drives like new now, but tends to fall to the right on crowned roads and the wheel returns to center very slowly coming out of turns. It also feels lighter to the touch than before. New tires are 235/55-16 Traction T/A's on 16x7 rims, so the contact patch is bigger now.

I'm thinking a little more caster is in order here to get more stable tracking and faster return to center. Just a little more - nothing way out of spec. Any advice? How tolerant is the front suspension and power steering for max caster?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've had good success running near the maximum allowable positive caster ... around 5.5 to 6 degrees positive. You're correct in assuming that this will give you better straight-line tracking and steering wheel centering.

This is one of the aspects of my SC that I enjoy compared to my old Fox Mustang. Even with modified strut mounts for additional caster, the steering in the 87 Mustang never felt as good as my Bird.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Need caster

I am having the same symptoms as croozertoo. I got my '94 t-bird back from a local alignment shop after I repeatidly told them that I need more caster in the alignment. The specs they gave me show the caster to be -2.3*. I know the caster is supposed to be between +4.8* and +6.3*. They kept telling me my car was handling the way it is because of the wide tires (245 50/16). I'm not buying it. They also said that the caster could not be adjusted on these cars. I would not say that my car is out of the ordinary. It is only lowered about 1.5", by they way. What is involved in adjusting the caster on these cars?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts