TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 bird runs and drives great but there a few annoying noises. I know what I need to do to fix 2 of them but now I just started getting one more odd noise. When I turn the steering wheel at low speeds or at a stop it makes this creaking/grinding noise. Does anyone have an idea as of why it does this and what i need to do to fix it? Is it a serious problem?
TIA

·
Registered
630 Posts
Tie rods??? uummmm this is what ya do Find out where its coming from first then let us know the where abouts so it would be easyer to help you man! you have to have somone turn the wheel while you listen from out side the car! You have to give a little help to get a little help Thanks ,
Destructor

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am almost positive it is not coming from the suspension. It sounds like its coming from the steering column or something around there. I read in another thread about a bad steering pump could cause this and it seems to fit my description.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Guess what You hit it right on the Noise See you dont need help all the Time! well thats what i was thinking Good Job

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm kinda skeptical about the steering pump suggestion. Steering pumps make a whine or zzzzzzzzzzzzz noise that gets worse with wear. I had a ford parts man tell me that the bearings in the steering column can go bad. Can you feel anything through the steering wheel? If you can't, it may be the front wheel bearings.
Perch

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
perch said:
I'm kinda skeptical about the steering pump suggestion. Steering pumps make a whine or zzzzzzzzzzzzz noise that gets worse with wear. I had a ford parts man tell me that the bearings in the steering column can go bad. Can you feel anything through the steering wheel? If you can't, it may be the front wheel bearings.
Perch
When i turn the wheel i can feel it kind of vibrating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts