TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a more powerful alternator to power my MSD ignition, the MK8 fan, the interior neons, and possibly a system in the future. I'm looking for a 130amper.. I know the 94-95 GTs with the monsoon system had the 130, but the bracket is different.

Where can I get a stronger alternator?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Um, I guess the first place I would look would be your local stereo shop. I know the main stereo place here in town sells up to like 250amp alternators for big stereo applications.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Umm, I know that a shop of some kind can rewire it o crank out nearly 200 amps. Maybe Bagged89 could help us out in this field?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you can do it yourself. you simply use smaller wire (higher gauge number) than stock. That will allow you to have more windings, which will create a stronger electric field, so when metal passes though the stronger field, it creates more power.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... if I used a larger guage wire, won't it melt the plastic and blow something up? I'm not looking to do that. I thought the stock alternator COULDN'T produce any more than 90amps... just by the way its designed.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i was able to put on the 130 amp alt from the 95 3.8Lcougar on my 93 3.8L.......with just an extension onto the bracket.....but then again, you have the 5.0........that one is mounted in the middle like in the 4.6L right?

also if anyone rewounds their alternator, consider having those diodes replaced! they carrry a current rating, that when exceeded will blow like anything else.........it would be a wise investment

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
right on guitar, most of the shops that rewind will not upgrade the diodes to higher rated models. With the factory diodes you should go more than 90 amps and sometimes they won't warrenty that. My '89lx came with a 65 or 75 amp alt. I went through 5 of them in a year before I went and got a real one. I have a Wrangler 160 amp (hot rating) alt. I love it! I've had it for 5 years now and I can run everything at idle and it won't drop voltage. Only on a tone or sine sweep will it drop, usually in the 40-30 cycles range. The Wrangler is actually a Delco case because it is larger and its extenally regulated to keep it a way from heat. I had to run 1ga wire because it discolored and somewhat and melted the insulation. it plugs into the factory regualtor harness and doesn't use the factory charging harness at all. it uses a 1ga positive and negative directly to the battery. it required a metal extention for the top bolt since the case is larger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts