TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bird in today for a badly needed oil change. With the inspection they said that my Oil Pan Seal is leaking, & Trans Pan Seal is leaking. They said i should do a trans flush for the trans pan, which i don’t know how THAT would fix a leaking seal (one would think that the seal needs to be replaced, unless something else goes on to seal it that i don’t know about)

He didn’t say how the oil pan seal could be fixed.

I told them before they took it that I was pretty sure my rotors were warped. They just kinda looked at it and said they couldn’t be sure they were or not. But they quoted me like 100 bucks for each rotor and labor (or maybe 100 for either the 2 fronts or the 2 rear drums) and said that, those should be my first concern, and i agree with that. Problem is i don’t want to pay for new break pads (which he said i should replace) when i have a lifetime warranty on them from Pepboys. Secondly, if im going to replace the rotors, i sure as hell dont want the factory ones on their again. I realize that i drive that car pretty hard sometimes so i think it would do me good in the long run to get higher performance rotors.

As for the engine, i still haven’t fixed the vacuum leak or done anything else to it, i asked them how much they charge for a tune up. They said something like 150 bucks, from what the lady said, all they pretty much do during that is change the spark plugs. I was told that they normally do alot more than that, like i need a bunch of scheduled stuff done, like fuel filter, trans filter (which i didn’t know existed until today) and whatever else should be done to it at around 120k miles.

Now, here are my questions (i know, finally)

First, i know i can search for rotors, but id like to know what you guys recommend that’s low/easy (key words their ) maintenance that a non gear head like me can deal with.

Second, would a trans flush really fix the seal leak? or is he just trying to get more money out of me?

Third, Ive thought loosely on the idea of engine swapping, but do not have the skill to do so myself, and im sure would be highly costly for someone else to do it, if anyone at all would. On top of the fact that i still owe like 1800 on it. Id like to keep the bird after its paid off just for the sake of not having that monthly payment to deal with anymore, but my mom is kind of pushing me to get a new car once it is paid off.

Anyway.. opinions?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The only thing that will fix a trans pan leak is a new gasket and torquing the bolts. Same for the oil pan. Does the steering wheel shake back and forth when you are braking? If not your rotors are not warped.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timb said:
Does the steering wheel shake back and forth when you are braking? If not your rotors are not warped.
Yes, mainly between 30-45 MPh. It shakes pretty badly then, not so bad other times.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
LordWolfx said:
First, i know i can search for rotors, but id like to know what you guys recommend that’s low/easy (key words their ) maintenance that a non gear head like me can deal with.
Rotors don't really require maintenance. Get some at Autozone, put them on, and have Pep Boys do the pads if neccesary. If the pads are good, bed them to the new rotors properly (6-8 medium hard stops from 40-10, then park it for a couple hours), and be done with it.

Second, would a trans flush really fix the seal leak? or is he just trying to get more money out of me?
A filter change requires removal of the pan, which will allow them to replace the leaking gasket. Don't go for the flush; they do that without removing the pan. Have them drain the pan, drain the torque converter, replace the filter, replace the gasket, and refill. NO FLUSHING.

Third, Ive thought loosely on the idea of engine swapping, but do not have the skill to do so myself, and im sure would be highly costly for someone else to do it, if anyone at all would. On top of the fact that i still owe like 1800 on it. Id like to keep the bird after its paid off just for the sake of not having that monthly payment to deal with anymore, but my mom is kind of pushing me to get a new car once it is paid off.

Anyway.. opinions?
If you can't do it yourself, don't even consider an engine swap.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
define a "medium hard stop". And what kind of rotor would you recommend? are their better ones than the factory? that say disapate heat better or will last longer with harder stops?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
LordWolfx said:
define a "medium hard stop". And what kind of rotor would you recommend? are their better ones than the factory? that say disapate heat better or will last longer with harder stops?
Medium hard: not a panic stop, not on the verge of lock up, not enough to engage the ABS. But harder than a normal easy stop at a stop sign.

If you want something that has a greater heat capacity and resists fading better, you have to move up in size. The 13" brakes off a Mustang Cobra is a popular upgrade; do a search for more info. If you're not able/willing to go to larger rotors, then no, there's nothing better than stock. Any rotor you but will be about as good as any other. Sounds like you either need the larger brakes, or you need to change your driving style.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tobey said:
Rotors don't really require maintenance. Get some at Autozone, put them on, and have Pep Boys do the pads if neccesary. If the pads are good, bed them to the new rotors properly (6-8 medium hard stops from 40-10, then park it for a couple hours), and be done with it.

A filter change requires removal of the pan, which will allow them to replace the leaking gasket. Don't go for the flush; they do that without removing the pan. Have them drain the pan, drain the torque converter, replace the filter, replace the gasket, and refill. NO FLUSHING.

If you can't do it yourself, don't even consider an engine swap.
Why not? I can't do an engine swap myself but its still gonna get done. There are people who do side work for cash. Not everyone charges $2,000 labor to swap an engine.

GO FOR IT

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
There's a lot in this thread I want to respond to. First - rotors will continue to warp if the hub assembly they are mated to is not true. Also - if you have a sticky caliper they will warp. If the pads are wearing unevenly from side to side or front to back, you have a sticky caliper. Basically, rotors are all the same - if you treat them right they should last a long time.

I had leaks coming from all over my drivetrain. Most of them I addressed last month. I removed the motor, replaced the oil pan gasket, tranny pan gasket, rear main seal, oil pressure sender, etc. It was an experience doing it the first time, but I'm confident I could do it again and much easier this time. Make me an offer Lord Wolfx - drive here and I'll do it with your help in a weekend.

Changing the fuel filter, plugs, wires and trans filter are easy if you have the tools. Flushing the trans is not hard at all - maybe an hour from start to finish. Again, make me an offer - I'll do it if you get here...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Like said above, you can change the plugs yourself in 30+ minutes. Cost $12 for platinums (all who want to say something about plat vs copper, it's a stock engine)

Our cars are too heavy for the little 10" brakes. They're going to keep warping. If you want to upgrade, Join TCCoA and go to http://www.discbrakesrus.com/make/ford/thunderbird.htm

You can do the tranny yourself. Jack up car. Drain Torque Converter. Drain pan. Clean off magnet. Since you have a 95, I'd get a 97 pan/filter (better/has sump) Clean pan with Simple Green. Wash, dry. Reinstall w/ new gasket.

Oil pan requires lifting the engine. Don't try yourself.

Since you sound new at this, I recommend taking EMBALMER up on his offer. Pay him to do it and show you how. It's not hard, but messy the first time. It's also the kind of thing you don't want to scew up.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
gecko2424 said:
Since you sound new at this, I recommend taking EMBALMER up on his offer. Pay him to do it and show you how. It's not hard, but messy the first time. It's also the kind of thing you don't want to scew up.
Hey - thanks for the recommendation. I've been dabbling in MN-12 for 6 years now. I have a little knowledge I can share. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts