TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad and drove the car to chicago yesterday and after about 15 minutes of driving, when we would come to a complete stop there was steam coming out of the defrost vents and it smelled VERY strong of coolant. also, i just flushed the coolant and replaced it, went to check the fill tank and it was almost half gone....

any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
On the good side it's easy to bypass for now...

But I guess in Chicago, you're not quite done with winter yet, huh? :)

The heater core is on the top three list of PIA parts to change, IMHO, along with the steering rack and oil filter mount gasket.

Search; there are some pretty detailed posts on it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The heater core isn't to bad to replace....just alittle time consuming is all. I've done mine three times....got it down to tare down, replace core, back together and running in 6 1/2 hours. Sure in heck beat paying the shop $800 to replace a $50 part!
When you do replace the core, Ford made an inline reducer that reduces pressure in the core. I'll have to see if I can find the part number. Also check your engine ground strap and if it's burnt or broken...replace it with a 1 inch wide one from Summit racing....actually should replace it anyways---it's only like $12-$15 bucks. If it's bad and you don't replace it, you may be replacing the core often. That ground strap is why I replaced mine three times....until I replaced my broken ground strap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts