TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have decided to finally add a set of 3.73's to my 96 4.6 rear end (8.8). I currently have a 3.27 open diff.

It is my understanding that in order to get a traction lock i NEED a unit from an IRS car? Does this mean a cobra differential will work? Or is my only choice to get an actual differential specifically for a t-bird.?

Also a speedometer recalibration tool. What is a good choice for that? I was leaning towards the ford racing recalibration tool just because it IS in fact a ford part. It is my understanding that i will need the recalibration tool WITH a "D" shaped plug.

Lastly what would you recommend for an installation kit? Get one from ford or an aftermarket company?

Please tell me if my understanding and logic is correct. I have been researching on this site for a couple days now, but i want to check that i have all the facts down and in their proper place.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You either need a mustang 28 spline traction lock carrier or one from a SC. The mustang will need to be modified to fit our axles.
A 21 tooth speedometer gear will correct your speedometer with 3.73's and not need any electronic assistance.
Alan

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks alot.

A couple more questions though. Because my family owns a body shop we get roughly a 20-25% discount on all ford/ford racing parts. Therefore i called yesterday afternoon and simply said that i needed a differential for a 96 t-bird 4.6 with a traction lock unit. He gave me a price i said thank you etc. However, would this work with my originally open diff set up or would i have to go with ONLY a SC or modified mustang t-lock (i want to stay away from the mustang set up).

THe 21 tooth speedometer gear, is this a safe way to "adjust" the speedometer and shift points back to where they should be? And is the best option to go with a ford part? Thanks again very much!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Yes the 21 tooth gear will work fine with your stock transmission and 3.73 gears. The ford racing unit will work all of them I have seen are IRS capable.
Alan

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. Thank you very much for the help i really appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts