TCCoA Forums banner

101 - 120 of 808 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
My cougar is an 89, and the dash I got from my buddy was out of an 89-90 SC.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
You shouldn't have to change the whole harness out, everything should plug right in from the SC harness to the LS. I put a dash out of a 90XR7 in my 91 cougar, and I had some issues with getting the horn and headlights to work because they changed the way they were wired for 91, but going from an 89SC to an 89LS should be plug-and-play.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I kind of figure as much, but didn't want to take any chances with it. The other reason for swapping was because my car originally had a car alarm install, and I didn't want to mess with removing it, and installing it into the new car. It probably would have took me the same amount of time to rewire the alarm as swapping the wiring harness. I am finished though with the dashes, just have to replace the heater core before I can put it back in.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Actually, I lied. The alarm was the second reason, the HVAC controls were my main reason. The sc came with auto climate, and my car did not. Not sure if the wiring is the same between the two, but I didn't want to take the chance. I really didn't want to have to change over to auto climate either.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
I don't know about the auto climate controls, didn't think about that. When I swapped my dash, both of them had the manual climate controls, so I don't know what would be involved in swapping that out. I'm with you though, I like the manual ones better.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Little update.

I figured, since the interior is pretty much stripped, why not weld up the seams...

And since I'm doing that, why not strip the motor down....

Got these about a week ago....

So, now its gonna take a bit longer......but thats allright, at least it'll be quicker :D

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
So in all your weight reduction efforts, have you given any thought to aluminum heads?

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
You don't need that much. You can find a good used set of aluminum GT40s or Edelbrock Vic Jr.'s for under $1000 if you look around.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Of course I could.
But, I don't want to waste a grand in heads that will not be big enough for what I'm wanting.
With saying that, I know I just bought these heads, but I can sell them for more than I paid for them, and they will compliment the cam and intake that I'm putting in the car, much better than the stock E5's that I'm currently running.

The engine I want to build, will be done later.
this is just a budget build.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welded up the seams, eh? Hmmmm, never even thought of that. While we aren't allowed to run subframe connectors, this should help out at least a little, right?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
before I welded the seams, you could kinda feel the floor give in certain areas, and if you were to hit the floor board, it had a gongish sound to it.....now, the floor feels solid, and you get a thump when you hit it.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
just a lil update.....still welding seams, and tinkering with the new h/c/i.

thats all for now!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow, I love this build..

101 - 120 of 808 Posts