TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some odd reason my car will not start in the mornings. It's not like it's 25 degrees or anything. Only way I can get it to turn over is a jumpstart. Afternoon when I go to lunch, it starts up fine and again when I leave at 5. Battery is under a year old as well as the Alt.....HELP! :confused:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
ouuu these type problems suck... sounds like something doesn't like the cold :(

try jumping the solenoid in the morning to see if that helps, it may be faulty
or... the starter relay could be going bad

does the car turn over in the morning and no start or does it not turn over at all just click?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just to clarify, you're saying the battery is dead every morning? Or you drain the battery trying to start it? As asked earlier is there clicking?

You say both battery and alternator are under a year old. What does your volts gauge show while the car is running, what's the volts with the key turned to run with out starting (ignition off).

You're either not charging or there's a drain. Quick thing to check are cables at the battery posts being tight as well as the battery (neg -) ground to the frame and positive cable to the Alt being tight as well. There should be no corrosion on the connections. As for a drain you have may something as simple as a glove box, trunk or interior light that's staying on.

Chris.............

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get spark, sounds like it is about to start, but does not... it teases me.

No lights on at night.

All connections look ok and are tight.

The volt gauge is at 1/4 to the left of half when it's running.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I get spark, sounds like it is about to start, but does not... it teases me.
Can your hear your fuel pump? By this I mean the next time you go to start in the morning do the following:
-Turn the key to run, but don't start.
-You should hear the pump run for about 2 sec's.

You might lean towards the right back seat and listen carefully while doing this. Or - have someone turn the key as described while you listen next to the right rear tire. Fuel pump is in the tank and close to these areas if you did'nt already know this.

If you don't hear it, the pumps likely on it's way out. Common problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can your hear your fuel pump? By this I mean the next time you go to start in the morning do the following:
-Turn the key to run, but don't start.
-You should hear the pump run for about 2 sec's.

You might lean towards the right back seat and listen carefully while doing this. Or - have someone turn the key as described while you listen next to the right rear tire. Fuel pump is in the tank and close to these areas if you did'nt already know this.

If you don't hear it, the pumps likely on it's way out. Common problem.
Yes, I can hear it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Needle position means your not charging.............

As 'master486' pointed out the volts needle should be almost straight up (approx 13 volts when charging). If your needle's 1/4 left of centre that's around 10 to 11 volts and NOT charging. As 'Dig' and myself have mentioned have another good look at those connections. Take them off and give them a good inspection and cleaning. [ especially the GROUND at the battery and frame ]

Check the tension of your belt. Should be barely able to move the tensioner arm with your hand, should be an arrow pointing within a band on the arm.

Check condition of fuse STD 11 in the fuse box under the hood.
Check condition of the 175 amp fuse on the side of the fuse box, it's under a small cover. BE CAREFUL around this fuse! You should disconnect the battery first before you remove it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts