TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tackle putting a 302 motor in a 406 V8 car?

Well, I'm seriously considering this instead of the DOHC swap I have been collecting parts for. I don't like the width of the 4.6 motor and I think the 302 is a better choice, AND at one point it WAS a motor offered in the car.

So... my question in what motor mounts do you use, AND where can I get a new set?

[email protected]

Thanks,
~Mercy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not real sure there becasue I'm kind of new here, but that is sort of the type of question that I have as well.

I was thinking of swapping out my 3.8 for a 5.0 in my '96 base, but I heard that I may have to replace the K-Member to one from an older mn12 car that will accept the 5.0 mount brackets.

My question had to do with swapping from a 3.8 to a 4.6 in lieu of the 5.0. But I can't seem to find any information as to whether I have to swap the k member in that application or not. I was under the assumption that I just needed to get my hands on brackets for the 4.6 mounts, but I have gleaned no information from any sources as of yet.

Any help for either of us would be appreciated...

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
use 302 mounts from a pre 94 bird

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no, I want NEW mounts, I don't want to use something from an old car... least not where motot mounts are concerned.

I do not see why the K member would need to be replaced in the car, but I will look into this. Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
He is not telling you to use old mounts... go the the parts place and buy motor mounts for a pre 94 bird.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha! Sounds good. What about this K-memberbusiness. It doesn't make sense to me that it would need to be swapped, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. Anyone have any info on this k-member topic?

Thank you

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I have a 95 that had the 4.6 in it.
I swapped my 4.6 to a 5.8(351W), which mounts the same as the 5.0.

All you need is the top plate of the motor mounts out of a 91-93 5.0 Thunderbird.
The best place to find those is a junkyard, or if someone is selling them on here.
Ford does not sell those pieces anymore.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
the k member is 89-92 93-97 for what you want to do, just get the upper mount plates from any mn12 you dont need to worry about the lowers, and then you go to a parts store and get the insulators.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts