TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Well I posted back in may and early June. Since i built a 4.6 interceptor and now i put it and a tranny from the same car my block came from. My tranny is to far back and i think my motor is to high and back to far. although the oil pan is barely past the k member i feel like the i need different motor mounts to bring the motor forward. I am probably wrong but who knows. I deffinitely do not.
So please let me have all you got as far as info and double head palms you got.
I am in need
Thanks guys
96 lx with a lot more mods this time around I hope

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
so you bought an engine and trans from a crown vic/towncar/marquis?? ......thats what it sounds like because those panther cars have a longer tailhousing than the standard 4R70W trans, and they also have a different oil pan that wont work....the only oil pan that will work in an MN12 is an tbird/cougar/mark VIII oil pan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know

I did put an oil pan from a mn12 . I bought a new one for the mn12 to put on the motor. As far as the tail housing goes ,, It won;t make a bit of difference on swapping that out without the rear tail shaft. So i ma still looking for the right tranny from a mn12. you can't just swap the rear shaft like you can in chevys. You litterally have to remove everything in the tranny. Knowing that part what do I do about the motor mounts. The motor looks like it is hi and too far back.
What do I do now. I was told by an old school Gunny seargent that a pound of c 4 fixes all. But I have to win this.
Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why exactly do you think the motor is too high and too far back? Is it hitting anything? Does the hood not close?

If your drive shaft doesn't fit its because of the before mentioned tailshaft difference. If that's the case, moving the motor is not the best way to get your shaft to fit (if that's even possible given the length difference).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok

here is a question, Is it possible that the case for the crown vic tranny is longer over all? When I campared rear housings the mount is in the same place and the crown vic is longer after that. It very well could be that the crowns tranny is my overall problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That is what Guitar Maestro said, is it not? He is a smart guy. Your original question should have read, "My driveshaft doesn't fit because my new transmission's tailshaft housing is longer than the old, what should I do?"

Moving your motor is not the answer. I'm not sure it would even be able to move forward enough to accomodate your drive shaft that is now too long. There are a lot of issues that make it a horrible option to solve your problem.

Your best options are as follows...
1. Get a new drive shaft made that is shorter.
2. Acquire a '93 mark viii driveshaft and have it shortened.
3. Get a new transmission (a lot more money out the window).
4. Have a shorter tailshaft installed into your trans (a lot more money out the window).

No sarcasm intended, but you knew the answer before you asked it, you just did not realize it. If I were in your situation i would find a '93 mark viii driveshaft and have it shortened. That is the cheapest option, is very easy, and will leave you with a better driveshaft than your original. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I ran into the longer tailshaft problem before doing a trans replacement in a 96 Bird. All I did was unbolt the housings and switch them, it wasn't a big deal. I can't recall exactly what all I did, but it really was nothing major, took me all of 15 minutes tops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts