TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 tbird lx 3.8l and The motor is a used one i got from a wrecking yard in southern cali cause the original messed up and the guy said it had 70,000 miles on it but seems like the oil is going somewhere i guess being burnt somehow cause theres no leaks at all and the car runs very good and strong and no smoke from the muffler.

Any one know what should i use i;m been using 10-30 and like every month i check the oil it needs about or almost half a quart. my girl does drive it on the freeway to work where it about 30 miles to work. any additives or something.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
oil burns naturally just from the engine running, since it coats the cylinder walls when the cylinder combusts it's going to burn off a very slight amount of oil. half a quart over a months time isn't all that bad, though you could try putting some seafoam in the oil and see if that helps. You can also try a compression check to see if the oil seals are gone. It could also possibly be leaking valve stem seals. It's just hard to say.
-Thomas

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thomas said:
oil burns naturally just from the engine running, since it coats the cylinder walls when the cylinder combusts it's going to burn off a very slight amount of oil. half a quart over a months time isn't all that bad, though you could try putting some seafoam in the oil and see if that helps. You can also try a compression check to see if the oil seals are gone. It could also possibly be leaking valve stem seals. It's just hard to say.
-Thomas
Ok cool is there some additives to seal those seals better? And what seafoam i buy and how do i use it?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
it's just seafoam, it's only one kind. Well, there's also the seafom TransTune but that's obviously only for transmissions. Just dump 1/2 a can of it into your oil fill hole and if you want you can put the rest in your gas, or put the rest in the engine through a vacuum tube.
-Thomas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts