TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

is there any problem running a 4.6 from a 94 in a 96 that had a 4.6 in it? Is there anything that needs to be changed?

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in what ways? the 96 has a warped head, the 94 was running when it got hit...seems like a pretty good swap.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Also the earlier style heads wear out valve guides, which causes them to burn oil, and with the 94/95 heads you can't run PI cams without running into coil bind issues. Basically if your goal is just to make the car drivable again, and you happen to have a 94 4.6, go ahead and swap it in, but if performance is ever going to be an issue, or if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, then hold out for a newer motor.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
What he said. Or just do a PI swap now. You can get a good set of heads and an intake for pretty cheap. As far as your compatibility question, you would need to swap your 96 intake manifold onto the 94 with the fuel rail and EGR tube. Basically everything that hooks up to the intake manifold has to go from your 96 to the 94 engine.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Unless you already have the 94 engine I would vote for the PI head/intake manifold swap or complete PI motor.

You can use the 94 with the heads, but the intake and all associated components need to be used from your 96. As mentioned the valve guides probably leak on the 94 unless they have been replaced.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is the deal. I have my 94, that got totaled. I found a 96 with a warped head. the 94 ran fine up until the accident. I dont have a ton of money right now, or a ton of time. If I pulled the motor from the 94, and put it in the 96, is there anything specific I am going to have to look for. After I graduate from the academy this fall, I will tinker with it more and probably go the PI motor route, but for now I need a car instead of driving the V10 everywhere.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You need to swap everything that attaches to the intake manifold, including the intake manifold, to your 94 motor. Then it's technically the same motor.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only problem with that is the intake is cracked on the 96, which is why the head warped.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just get a new or used 96-97 intake or a PI intake with the aluminum crossover. Using the 94 is not worth all the trouble. You will be set for a PI head swap or engine in the future. It is a PIA to put a PI motor in a 94-95.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only problem with that is the intake is cracked on the 96, which is why the head warped.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I understand that you're on a budget, but when your taking an engine out and putting a new one in, expect to spend money. Get a new intake manifold and put it on the good engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts