TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that may have been answered in previous forums but i havent found it, i have the oppurtunity to buy a used 5.0 from my cousins wrecked mustang (wrapped it around a tree) , anyways he only wants 750 for motor, tranny, and puter, i have a 3.8 would it be more work than it is worth? :bangwall:

·
8,239 Posts
Well, you have to consider your driveline. That 89 coug has the 7.5'' weak rear end that you will break with any power at all at it.

So, you would need the 302, a built aod, a 8.8 rear conversion, v8 halfshafts, custom driveshaft.

Depending on the age of the 302 that might be an ok deal, but might be not so ok. You can get a 2001 explorer gt40 302 for around 600-750 all day long with lowish miles on it.

JH

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
You'd possibly do better, depending on the used car market in your area, if you want a 302 to just sell your car and look for a V8 car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 2002 stang and he wrecked it in late 03, and call me stupid but whats an aod and would i be able to get the half shafts off of his stang and would his drive shaft work?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
If it's a 2002 Mustang GT, it's got a 4.6L engine, not a 302. The AOD is the transmission that is currently in your car. You cannot use the axles or driveshaft from a Mustang.

·
8,239 Posts
same difference.

95 the mustang had a 302, 96+ they have 4.6's.

the explorer/mountineer truck had the 302 until 2001, in 2002 they went 4.6

JH

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
ludacriscougar said:
know anywhere i can get a v8 car cheap to fix up?
I'll be selling this one in a few weeks:

95 4.6L Tbird LX with 83,000 miles.

I'll put it in the for sale forum when I'm ready to sell it.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
where the heck did that car come from Rod? I havent seen you mention anything about it.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Thomas said:
where the heck did that car come from Rod? I havent seen you mention anything about it.
You do know that I have 14 MN12's, right? I've had this one for a little bit. I was thinking about using it as my new daily driver, but I like my 94 splitport too much. :)

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I thought only the split-port and coug project were the running ones though. Ah well. I like the wheels on that.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Thomas said:
I thought only the split-port and coug project were the running ones though. Ah well. I like the wheels on that.
Nope, 7 out of 14 run. It's just that most of them are parts cars.

JH,

I'm pretty sure the wheels are 15 x 7's. I'm not selling them seperately though.

-Rod

·
Registered
190 Posts
Question Motor Swap

Check out - 5L T5 SWAP
This may help. Graham.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts