TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So, where does one buy an Amsoil oil filter? All the places I looked at online are Amsoil dealers, and most seem to be in Ohio. The filter costs $17.30 at each one, NOT including shipping!

Anyone ever use a Royal Purple #20-820 filter? Are those any good? They're $14.99 and available locally, like at Pep Boys and AutoZone. It says they have 100% synthetic filtration media, 99% filtration efficiency, and a high-performance silicone anti-drainback valve.

Any opinions on that filter?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
So, where does one buy an Amsoil oil filter? All the places I looked at online are Amsoil dealers, and most seem to be in Ohio. The filter costs $17.30 at each one, NOT iconcluding shipping!

Anyone ever use a Royal Purple #20-820 filter? Are those any good? They're $14.99 and available locally, like at Pep Boys and AutoZone. It says they have 100% synthetic filtration media, 99% filtration efficiency, and a high-performance silicone anti-drainback valve.

Any opinions on that filter?

Thanks,

Dennis
Back when royal purple had certifications that were worth using I ran their filters and oil. Now I won't. It all comes down to certifications for me which is why I went back to Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
IMPO, Amsoil is the better of the two filters.

Have yet to get to a RP operate on and do research.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Carquest/WIX R85085 with grits 10K

I am posting this to show what a dirty air-filter and not checking your oil level will cause . Engine uses Mobil 1 10w30

This came off a 92 Dodge 3.9 Magnum V6 with 210K.
Engine holds 4.5 qts...... 2.5 drained out including filter :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Wow, what is that? Grains of dirt?

Aside from the filth, that Car Quest filter looks well constructed.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Grit /Sand Rush.......... The air filter was a mess..... Very right about the build of these WIX,s , Told him LOCI is fine with the oil he has but needs a filter to keep up , Lucky he had a well made one on. He had a FRAM Ultra to go back on .

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
But was the oil filter clogged.
Didn't look like it.
The oil filter did it's job.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
But was the oil filter clogged.
Didn't look like it.
The oil filter did it's job.
I'd bet it's been running thru the bypass; the little bit it saw lately wouldn't have, lol.

Would 2.5 qts even circulate?

I hope I never find out personally. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Years ago I always used Fram filters but stopped that back in the 90's. They had a great reputation for quality "back in the day" that they have pretty much been coasting along on for the past 20+ years. I generally always used a Motorcraft in the T-bird aside from when they had a combo special on Mobile-1 oil and filters. Great thread! I may have to start using the Napa ones. Any chance you've dissected a Mopar filter? That's what I usually use on my truck.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Years ago I always used Fram filters but stopped that back in the 90's. They had a great reputation for quality "back in the day" that they have pretty much been coasting along on for the past 20+ years. I generally always used a Motorcraft in the T-bird aside from when they had a combo special on Mobile-1 oil and filters. Great thread! I may have to start using the Napa ones. Any chance you've dissected a Mopar filter? That's what I usually use on my truck.
Thank you

I think I can round up a Mopar , reputation as a good filter it has ;) Last info I received they are made now by purolator.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Amsoil EA EaO11

At first opening it up it appeared that the seam was not sealed , but that was not the case even with a good tug at the pleats .

Filter Details:
Gasket Inside Diameter (In): 2.462 Inch
Top Inside Diameter (In): Closed
Burst Pressure (psi): 280 psi
Bypass Valve Included: Yes
Bypass Valve Pressure (psi): 24 psi
Flow Rate (gpm): 10 To 13 gpm
Gasket Outside Diameter (In): 2.834 Inch
Gasket Thickness (In): 0.200 Inch
Pleats=35
Media:Wire backed synthetic fiber
Micron Rating: 98.7 percent at 20 microns

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thanks man for doing an Amsoil. Huge, huge improvement over looking at a exploded view diagram.

I would have liked to have seen a coil spring, and perhaps a beefier adbv.

Ah, but, look at business end of the filter. The stats' on the filter media... Superior over cellulose. I'm not sure, but I think that's the best we've seen.

And thanks again for your time.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Most welcome Rush, Yep the media is the best I have seen so far as well. Canister very thick to boot.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Most welcome Rush, Yep the media is the best I have seen so far as well. Canister very thick to boot.

I just changed my oil with conventional penzoil 5w-30 with a pint of stp honey (valve seals), and the napa gold filter.

Took the old motorcraft off by hand, and somehow managed to give birth to the filter in my hand. I've changed the oil in my car far too many times to remember all the times I've changed it. It never ceases to amaze me...lol

The gold went in fine. Mostly because it wasn't slippery. lol

Very clear to me why remote filter(s) are so popular on these cars. lol

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
FRAM Ultra X16

One of the best filters on the market, Many people are pleased with there performance.

FRAM Xtended guard has specialty engineered 2-ply synthetic media reinforced
with a metal screen

Product Details:
Part Number: XG16
Dirt trapping efficiency of 97% .
Dirt holding capacity of 26 grams
Weight: 1.0 lbs
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
By-pass Valve: Yes
Filter Height (in): 3.69
Filter Outside Diameter (in): 3.66
Filter Style: Spin-on Canister
Filter Thread Size: 3/4-16 Th d
Filtering Material: Cellulose/Synthetic Blend
Gasket Material: Nitrile Rubber

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
IMPO the only thing that is above average in the MC is the filter media & internal BPV , The can is the weakest thing I have seen yet.

Go to crush them and the canister will bust right in the middle . ( Only MC will do that)

And MCs are the easiest filter to crush . Even the China made Driveworks are better made. That is just my observation .

A BIG oil filter for a IH.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
The Ranger in action crushing a MC filter.

This one(MC) did not bust in the middle.

The filter was probably about 8 inches tall.

The machine crushes the filter and extrudes the

used oil so that everything is recyclable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eOFy9wBxVvc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

101 - 120 of 244 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.