TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying one, anybody have one and have some feedback?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Let me ask my wife in the am, as she works for US Cellular. She may know something about it.

Jay

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm relatively happy (and know 3 others who are happy as well)...

I think my #1 gripe is it doesn't match the solid feel of LG phones. My old LG phone was rock solid and it makes my E815 feel rather weak (especially in the hinge).

Ringer is LOUD...which is both good and bad depending your situation. There are times when I'd like for it to have a quieter option (especially at night)

Speaker phone seems decent. Haven't been on the other end of using it, but it's been real nice for things such as checking voice mail on the road.

functionality is leaps and bounds ahead of my old phone (outdated LG). Only complaint I have thus far is the method of listing multiple numbers for the same name. the Moto copies the headings and adds a new number, where the LG added it under the same heading. It made it real easy to access the additional numbers when looking at a name in the recent call list.

Doesn't seem to seperate recieved and missed calls in the incoming group. Only difference is a check mark next to recieved calls, which can be difficult to see in a quick glance.

Haven't pulled pictures on to the PC to give a review on quality, but the camera is relatively easy to use and seems 'clear enough' in daytime lighting.

Video function seems mediocre at best, but in relation to other camera phones, I can not give an educated opinion.

Keypad is easy to use.

Packaged ringtones suck.

Gets pretty good reception in poor reception areas. I went from a tri-mode that dropped calls constantly to a dual-mode (815) that'll usually stick with a call (this is in rural ND where we don't have any towers close)

Something I really did like was the customization available on the phone. If you so choose, you can change any of the 6 buttons (4 arrows and 2 top/side buttons) to access any function on the phone you want. Can also changed ringers/alerts for all functions relative to what level you have it on (silent, vib + ring, vib, soft, loud) which I found very nice in allowing me to have my alarm on and the rest of the phone silent. (I just wish we could add our own sound levels to customize).

Should hopefully hack it in the next couple weeks and see where it'll go from there.

Overall, aside from the weak feel, I like it.

www.phonescoop.com

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks for the info guys, especially dubbsy, good review. Is there an option to adjust the ringer volume? I could've sworn there was :confused:

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Can anybody say if its a big imporvement over the V710???

I am on phone #4 since the original last year, the menus are slow, it freezes, the camera sucks, all sounds like to shut off.

I love motorolas but i've been very dissapointed with this one.....If the E815 is any better i'll call verizon and ***** my way for one.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
Sweet, thanks for the info guys, especially dubbsy, good review. Is there an option to adjust the ringer volume? I could've sworn there was :confused:

yes, you can adjust the ringer volume (1-7), but IMO even setting #1 is a little loud for my 'quiet time' tastes [and 7 you can hear across the county.. good for windows down cruising down the interstate ;) ]

V710 vs E815....
I understand it's a HUGE upgrade in reliability. I've actually got a buddy who did just that.. had problems with his 710 over and over and verizon finally sent him an 815 (after so many trys they'll upgrade you in the brand or allow you to switch brands)

as a small warning. I ~hear~ the E815 will freeze occasionally. I've played with it plenty and it'll occasionally lag a bit (and that's usually in a poor connection when trying to use 'get it now') and it's been fine, but guys have noted it does occasionally freeze on www.phonescoop.com (good reviews and comparisons of phones...again, check it out)

Battery life is pretty good (although it seems tempermental :confused: ). I've gone all week at school (smaller metro area, little use) on a charge and right now I'm on a good solid 24 hours in poor reception without dropping a bar, however I did run into an issue one night where it went full discharged in 5 hours (still not totally sure why, but it's only done it the one time so far - only thing we've determined was that it was switching towers constantly and it killed it quick).

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, thanks guys

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
The Razr is like the Mustang, everyone wants/has one, when there are better options out there. Take the V555/ V557 (but GSM, and not applicable for this) much better phones, just doesnt have the popular appeal. I used to sell phones, and I would hear alot of stories about early V3s just stop working, especially in the keypad area.

--Craig

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never really liked LG phones... there's huge hype about the 9800 but the thing's an oversized POS IMO. I'm pretty set on switching to verizon so I get IN with my girlfriend, but my big holdup is that Verizon is still on CDMA when everyone else has already switched to GSM. I love the 815 and I just need funds after Xmas, but I'm kinda worried about getting stiffed when Verizon will finally have to switch to GSM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts