TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the 3.8 SC motor out and apart. I need to resolve a few issues soon to advise the Machine Shop.

1. Pistons---1 cyl needs sleeve, others may require oversized pistons if clean-up takes out too much. If new pistons are needed, what is the best source for custom (compression ht. and oversize). Has anyone attempted a long rod engine similar to the long rod 351 articles (6.2 rod w/correct compression ht.?) Diamond, J.E. , Probe etc.
2. Sleeves ---Any opinions on sleeving cylinders on these boosted motors? My machinest says no problem he does a lot of work on GN Buicks----lots more boost!!

I already have good idea on balancer, cam (crane 000588) roller rockers, (will check pushrod lengths), motor mts, and so on. My search did not get me the answers I needed. If you have info or link, I just may not screw this up!!

TX Yardbird :confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tx DLF--

I called Probe today regarding oversize pistons and even checked on availibility of compression hts around 1.30. Apparently they will make almost anything. Having read the articles on the long-rod 302's and 351's (I realize the pitfalls of Mag articles!) from different shops, I cant help but wonder if the advantages (apparent) would apply to the 3.8 SC and NA as well. Unknown to me is the effect of boost on this setup. Longer rods (ratios around 1.8) tend to enhance the poorer breathing heads (read-- NOT high buck professional porting) not that professional porting is not worth it, but sometimes cost and overall expectations do not warrent such. The 9.232 deck ht. will accomodate rods around 6.2 with comp hts around 1.3 . I will research this idea further unless someone WHO HAS DIRECT EXPERIENCE and/or KNOWLEDGE gives good reason not to. The worst I can do is: Blow the whole thing to Hell, Run over 35 people in the process. Go broke (broke-er), last and least , possibly break my neck and/or die. So whats the holdup!!
I confirmed what I had read earlier, that is that Hyper-pistons were OEM.
Tx for input---any others welcome!!:) :)
Yardbird---

1 - 3 of 3 Posts