TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best spot to mount an amp. I have a 700s rockford and I want to find a spot where someone will have a hard time stealing it. I don't know where that would be. I was thinking on the back of the seats where the two metal bars cross. Any other ideas? Also does anyone know the best box to put a pair of comp vr 12s in sealed or ported and a brand?

·
Registered
319 Posts
put the amp on the back of your box, if you have a box that houses 2 12's then im sure you'll have plenty of room for that amp. make sure it it mounted up and down and not flat or you'll have overheating problems. You can get a sealed box made at your local car audio retailer for the same price as a pre-made one.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
:rolleyes:

On the box is not even close to being a theft deterrent, the best way to prevent theft by making it a pita for him to reach and rip out would be on those v-shape braces in the very back ot the trunk, but to eliminate any kind of problems that could arise from the amp being mounted on metal, you should secure a piece of wood to the bracing, and them mount the amp to the wood.

reason it would be a pain for the would be theif, is that he would have to get entirely into your trunk to reach the amp, which makes for more time, and more chance of getting caught. But if the thief really wants the amp, he'll get it.

Best bet is to have a stereo shop build the box for you, and a simple one shouldn't cost you much more than buying a prefab box, and it would be built for the requirements of the subs, which would make it sound better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mount amp on back of sub box=BAD IDEA

That is the worst place to mount an amp simply because the vibration will literally kill your amp. I've seen it happen with a jl amp. It wasn't pretty. It would probably be better to build an enclosure to try and hide it, and then secure it with torques bits. but whatever you do..........don't mount it to the back of your box, that's just askin for trouble. Picture dragging the amp out of the back of your car by the power wire and rca cables...........................................it's kinda like that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
my bro had a cool idea for an amp in his old bird...he bought some trunk crap from the junkyard (exactly what was in there) took the good one out...cut a hole in the place where the spare tire sits under...pt some plexiglass under it and the amp where the wheel used to go...looked very snazzy....but dono about ratteling or anything

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
screw amp down to metal, make a thick-metal box with vents, and possibly cooling fan, screw metal box down with some kind of bolts that you can't unscrew from the top, seen some on bunk beds, they're rounded on top and have some sort of hex-pattern under neath, put bolts in a hard to reach spot, under car, whatever. it'd take them a hell of a lot of time to take that out cause they couldn't cut it or rip it up, let alone put in. A good metal to use would be some of that aluminum diamond plating they make truck boxes out of, but cost $100 a sheet, but it's a big sheet forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?threadid=893&goto=newpost, dr.frankencougie used some of it on his Cougar.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a punch 800 and i took out the spare tire and put the amp on a custom built stand. Added a couple of fans for air movement and now you cant see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts