TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...the black plastic piece that has the "waffle" pattern on it that mounts to the front of my car to absorb the impact of a wreck was originally held on by rivets on my 1993 T-Bird. It broke off following a recent fender bender. I want to go to the junkyard to pick up another one, is there a way for me to re-attach it without a rivet gun? I'd prefer not to have to duct tape it haha. My front bumper is sagging without it.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
So...the black plastic piece that has the "waffle" pattern on it that mounts to the front of my car to absorb the impact of a wreck was originally held on by rivets on my 1993 T-Bird. It broke off following a recent fender bender. I want to go to the junkyard to pick up another one, is there a way for me to re-attach it without a rivet gun? I'd prefer not to have to duct tape it haha. My front bumper is sagging without it.
Self taping metal screws, or thread the rivet holes with a tap and use the appropriate length and thread bolts, or plastic push pins, or double sided body adhesive tape, or rivets like the factory did.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I would just use some fender washers, bolts, and some locking nuts..

The tricky part is going to be finding a fender washer that fits inside the "squares"..

If you're removing the one from the junkyard..Make sure to bring a drill along with you..That way you can drill out the old rivets..

Don't just rip the "bumper absorber" off the donor car..You'll destroy the plastic backing you need to reattach the "bumper absorber"..

On your car..It would probably be best to just drill out the old rivets if there is any remaining, and install the bolts in the same holes..

That way it lines up perfectly when you go to mount the "bumper absorber"..

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If you're removing the one from the junkyard..Make sure to bring a drill along with you..That way you can drill out the old rivets..

On your car..It would probably be best to just drill out the old rivets if there is any remaining, and install the bolts in the same holes..

That way it lines up perfectly when you go to mount the "bumper absorber"..
Rayo..
:wavey:
When you drill the rivets off. keep the washer part left on the drill bit.
I use them as backers. As I already have BIG shoulder rivets.

Don't use tape or glue!

:zbeer::zbench:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts