TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. My car specs are below my name. Im living with my parents currently. In april i will be moving to minnesota for awhile with my g/f so she can finsih school.

IN order for my to take my tbird (without my mom worrying her *** off) would be to fix what needs to be fixed.

So far this is what needs to be done.

new power steering pump
rack and pinions need to be replaced
annd new shocks

What kidna of money do you think i need to spend for this?

We know a mechanic who has worked on our cars for 12 years running. So hoepfully i can get a deal with the cost of labor (being i dont have acess to a garage and woudlent know what i was doing neway).

Is there any thing you think i need to do to prepare my car, which is an instersate virgin, to travel 22 hours and then live in the cold winters?

thanks

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
PS Pump $105 (FordPartsCounter)
Rack & Pinion $200 (O'Reilly's)
Shocks (2x$18.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)
Struts (2x$78.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)

I don't know if you need both struts (front) and shocks (rear) but here are the prices I have found. If your friend will let you bring him the parts and only charge you labor to install all of this stuff then I would guess about $1000 for parts and labor. If you have never done any suspension work then I would guess that the front and rear sway bar links also need to be changed (2x$14.99 and 2x$18.99) and the strut bushings (I don't know the price from Jason on these). . . .hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wether said:
PS Pump $105 (FordPartsCounter)
Rack & Pinion $200 (O'Reilly's)
Shocks (2x$18.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)
Struts (2x$78.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)

I don't know if you need both struts (front) and shocks (rear) but here are the prices I have found. If your friend will let you bring him the parts and only charge you labor to install all of this stuff then I would guess about $1000 for parts and labor. If you have never done any suspension work then I would guess that the front and rear sway bar links also need to be changed (2x$14.99 and 2x$18.99) and the strut bushings (I don't know the price from Jason on these). . . .hope this helps.

yes it does help. thanks alot man.

Me and my dad are going to talk to him either 2morrow or thursday and see what we can do.

To my knowledge. Its just the front end that needs the work....at least i hope thats it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
test your antifreeze, make sure its good to -30. get some good tires and make sure you carry what you need to stay warm with you. cell phones a must if you havnt drove in snow-ice much. might wanna get some sandbags for the trunk.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
95moneypit said:
test your antifreeze, make sure its good to -30. get some good tires and make sure you carry what you need to stay warm with you. cell phones a must if you havnt drove in snow-ice much. might wanna get some sandbags for the trunk.
Excellent advice! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
95moneypit said:

looks like your in mn. What part?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ah...Minn isn't that cold...I live in Northern Iowa and (Minn does too prob) we have some of the strangest weather anywhere on the face of the planet...one day it will be 60 and sun shine, next morning you'll have snow on the ground (couple weeks ago...) But good luck up there in the north

Joe

·
Registered
680 Posts
Wash your car or you will develop rocker rust. Agreed with the sandbags and keeping warm. If you are coming to the twin cities expect idiots on either extreme... there are some that see snow and forget that they had to drive in it last year so they will honestly go 25mph in a 55mph zone when it is not bad out, then there are the ones that forget that it did snow so they will turn sharply and slam on brakes. Anyway, hope you enjoy MN, it's a good place!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i live about 5 miles south of rochester. winter has been mild for quite a few years but we still get a weak or 2 of -10 to -20. lately we have got most our snow around february but you just never know when the snow or cold is coming.

·
Registered
104 Posts
whitecoug said:
Ah...Minn isn't that cold...I live in Northern Iowa and (Minn does too prob) we have some of the strangest weather anywhere on the face of the planet...one day it will be 60 and sun shine, next morning you'll have snow on the ground (couple weeks ago...) But good luck up there in the north

Joe
It depends where you are... around the Red River Valley you can figure on seeing a low in the -30's in January. I just redid my coolant mix (new rad and w/p) and went with 8 qts antifreeze and 6 qts water for -55 or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts