TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey tx people! myself and my screamin' green bird are headed your way! gonna be this summer, i'm shooting for june-ish...my parents live in marble falls, my sister & her family are gonna be headed down to that area, so i figure why not?!? I hope to meet some fun ford people there so i'd love to know about car functios and other fun stuff to do! looking to te tear up some hill country twisties!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Welcome. Most of the guys that frequent this part of the forum are in Houston, but there's a few more scattered around. The Austin area is one of the prettier areas of Texas. You might suffer from temperature shock, though, moving in June. It's going to be hot, on its way to getting hotter.

What kind of work are you looking for?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of work are you looking for?
WELL I've been doing security off and on since 03...the last time I lived in TX I worked security in marble falls and then moved to wichita falls (big big big mistake) and worked for AT&T at their call center....lots of call center experiance too...I'd rather do something completely different...why do you have something in mind? I can do anything....

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hung around austin a bit in 05...mostly the honkey tonk bars...continental club, egos, threadgills etc always a fun time

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lots of people from CA moving out here it seems...
Didn't you live here awhile ago?
If so, welcome back. If not, you'll like it I'm sure, though as Tobey said it is pretty brutally hot here in the summer.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i lived in marble falls - an hour from austin - for a while in 05 then in wichita falls which sucked end of 05 all of 06 and half of 07....was not really ready to leave ca back then and didn't like tx but things are different for me now and it really can't get here soon enough it's gonna be loads of fun

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
If I could line up a job in Texas, you might see me flying down south by the winter time. We've been talking about selling the house so Id have a nice down on something new. I might be needing more rooms soon also ... ;)

We have some family in Katy .. but anything between Houston to San antonio would all be the same to me.

I just want to know .. Where's all the jobs at in TX ?! :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If I could line up a job in Texas, you might see me flying down south by the winter time. We've been talking about selling the house so Id have a nice down on something new. I might be needing more rooms soon also ... ;)

We have some family in Katy .. but anything between Houston to San antonio would all be the same to me.

I just want to know .. Where's all the jobs at in TX ?! :D
Oil & Petroleum is the big $ in Houston...also lots of medical jobs...and of course the random jobs like mine...I work in insurance.

What can you do? What is your education and what skills do you have? Chances are there is something that fits the bill.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
It's amazing how resilient we are in Texas.

I have a cousin who does security for Sears. He gets paid pretty well.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
security? what type of security?
There's several hundred chemical plants and refineries in the area. Almost all of them use contract security to man the gates, etc. No armed guards or anything. It can't be that hard to get on with one of the contract companies, but I don't know what they pay.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Oil & Petroleum is the big $ in Houston...also lots of medical jobs...and of course the random jobs like mine...I work in insurance.

What can you do? What is your education and what skills do you have? Chances are there is something that fits the bill.
Yeah .. Ive heard a lot of people who work on the rigs are missing fingers and stuff like that. I might need those to work on Tbirds. :D

I only a HS diploma, but I have a ton of experience working with my hands. Ive been working on cars for years, can do all sorts of work on them. Some welding, fab work, little plumbing, etc .. worked at a machine shop for short period, worked as a Bank teller .. you know, the jack of all trades sort of person - quick to learn, put me in an entry level position and work my way up.

My last job was a line worker at the Toyota manufacturing plant here until they closed down. I wonder how hard it would be to get into TMMX.

Worst case - I can just keep doing what I do now. Ive been working out of my home garage fixing everybodies cars .. shouldnt be too hard to establish a new client base in a new location.

Or go be a security guard with Earl .. haha. :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah .. Ive heard a lot of people who work on the rigs are missing fingers and stuff like that. I might need those to work on Tbirds. :D

I only a HS diploma, but I have a ton of experience working with my hands. Ive been working on cars for years, can do all sorts of work on them. Some welding, fab work, little plumbing, etc .. worked at a machine shop for short period, worked as a Bank teller .. you know, the jack of all trades sort of person - quick to learn, put me in an entry level position and work my way up.

My last job was a line worker at the Toyota manufacturing plant here until they closed down. I wonder how hard it would be to get into TMMX.

Worst case - I can just keep doing what I do now. Ive been working out of my home garage fixing everybodies cars .. shouldnt be too hard to establish a new client base in a new location.

Or go be a security guard with Earl .. haha. :D
You can start with mine!

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
You can start with mine!
Everybody needs their cars worked on. ;)

Right now I have a killer lineup with my clients ..

Currently working on a 1967 Cadillac Deville resto.

Ive been lining up the work for a 1951 Mercury for a different customer, we're still deciding which engine to use.

After the Cadillac I have a 1951 Chevy Truck then 1964 Impala station wagon :D

Not to mention all of the routine maintenance jobs I do, oil changes, brakes, lowering springs on Tbirds, new superchargers, stuff like that.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i'd rather not be a security guard anymore.....but a job is a job so i wouldn't ne so quick to turn down steady work...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts