TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 xr7 v6 48,000 miles
mpg used to be 31 mpg on the highway. has recently dropped to 26.
car has been maintained to mfg. severe maintaince schedule. car is all stock.
any ideas?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Highway: 24.5mpg
City: 14.5-15mpg
:ztoohot:

·
Registered
2 Posts
mileage

on the highway with my old engine, with the cruise set to 85mph with two people and a trunkload of stuff, i got aroung 28-29mpg......this number really surprised me.

I haven't had the chance to test to see what the new engine gets, but it seems like aroung town it goes through a tank quicker. Must be the fact i can rev it without worring about the knock in the old engine.(Bad rod bearing)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
How do you get almost 400 a tank while getting 21 mpg? You must run that to the last ounce. :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm getting 29.5 with my 4.6L

I'm probably going to jinx myself :D but my 94 4.6L gets the following:

I just returned from two trips and closely verified my mileage and speedometer (new white gauges so I wanted to check everything)

29.5 mpg if I drive 71 mph (cruise control, no racing, :( and 100% interstate) (speed limit 65 mph (I hate KY and OH! And does OH have enough state troopers!!)

25.5 mpg if I drive 77 mph (again, cruise control, no racing, :( and 100% interstate) (speed limit 70 mph)

21.5 around town with some racing :)

4.6L, 3.08, non-posi, modified exhaust, no silencer, 4 new O2’s, new MAF, etc.

And 218K miles… maybe the engine is so loose, it doesn’t have a lot of drag and I get good gas mileage :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gas Mileage

I would never run a tank to totally empty. It makes the fuel pump work harder than it should have to, and any crap that is in the bottom of the tank will surely clog the sock on the pump and the fuel filter. Best bet is to never let it get any lower than 1/8 of a tank.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well.. sometimes the wallet doesn't permit me to put gas in right away like that. so i have to run it down a lot. i do need a new fuel filter tho, thats partially the reason why, that and this one has about 80,000 miles on it, i believe the filter was only changed once in its lifetime. -greg

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't think you have much to worry about with the change in MPG. I've noticed that in cooler weather my mileage drops a bit because it runs better and wants more gas, plus I know she's quicker in the cold so I gun it all the time. From reading the other posts I have to agree that you're getting great mileage even with the change.

I wouldn't sweat it but do keep an eye on it for it could be the start of a bigger problem/

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
also running it on empty oftenly can mean fuel pump replacement because a fuel pump is fuel cooled and if it's only running on fumes then that means no cooling.
-Thomas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts