TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for you guy's running msd ignition on dis. what does everyone think about it. i heard that some time the box can fail and should always have a back up. or should i just get the firepower ignition kit . or accel coils . whats your opinions on this?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have one on my 97'. It may last ten years or 1 day. It's been to the shop three times in 20,000 miles. It has it's good benifits for the hard core racer but for the average joe it creates more problems to the one you already have. Best advice is: If you don't race your car for a nextel cup then don't spend money on MSD. It's a hard core racing product that has not been proven "in my book" to benefit the DIS crowd. Spend your money on a set of Taylor "407" wires and wire seperators. Then put in the NGK copper plugs @ 1 step colder than stock. They last about 10,000 good miles. I do use the MSD coils, which I like, but they can go down too. Got to be able to detect a faulty coil on the fly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had an msd dis on my 94 t-bird and it went out on me twice, while I was driving. Nothing like driving along on the road and all of a sudden nothing and there is no reason for it. The first time cost me a call to AAA. The second time I knew what the problem was and was able to fix it on the side of the road. After the second time I just gave up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see i do race my car everyonce in a while. if putting it on would work better with a tune or what, i was just thinking about getting the coil pack. cause from what i was reading those boxes go out often. but i do want to intensify my spark. for higher rpm added power.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
How fast is your car? What power does it make?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well u see heres the thing all i got by my apt is a 1/8 th mile track, it 's running low 9's in that. which i thought that was fairly good cause there's not a whole lot of work to it. and i'm running 265 - 270 hp un tuned. which is good to for not doing pi swap yet.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
well u see heres the thing all i got by my apt is a 1/8 th mile track, it 's running low 9's in that. which i thought that was fairly good cause there's not a whole lot of work to it. and i'm running 265 - 270 hp un tuned. which is good to for not doing pi swap yet.
And this hp figure was via a dyno,or just "calculated" from you butt-o-meter?
JL

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's a calulation these motors come stock with 210 hp. my dad and i are thinking it's about around that area maybe alittle less. see my dads a machinist so i trust his judgment his been buliding motors for 20 years. but like i said it a calulation. but i will tell you the things i've done to it. my block is blue printed and balanced , bored .020 over all forged internals, manley rods, and pistons, plasma moly rings crankshaft polished, windage tray. corba oil pump, i ported and polished the heads (gasket matched ) same with intake to, and upper intake plenum, 75 mm tbody, 3inch custom intake tube. that about it for the motor. i do have 373 in the rear with t lock and a j mod valve body with trans cooler. you can gain 20 - 30hp by blueprinting, but like i said this are calulations. plus this is coming from a guy that been building motor for 20 some years. and is pretty well know for his skills in iowa. i just want to say you'd be suprised what you gain by building your motor

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i noticed a big difference when i put the motor back in it had alot better throttle response. more power, and torque but yes blanced and blue printed motors theres a very big difference tuned or not you'll notice it. but doing the heads helped alot cause these head are actually junk on these early production heads

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
it's a calulation these motors come stock with 210 hp. my dad and i are thinking it's about around that area maybe alittle less. see my dads a machinist so i trust his judgment his been buliding motors for 20 years. but like i said it a calulation. but i will tell you the things i've done to it. my block is blue printed and balanced , bored .020 over all forged internals, manley rods, and pistons, plasma moly rings crankshaft polished, windage tray. corba oil pump, i ported and polished the heads (gasket matched ) same with intake to, and upper intake plenum, 75 mm tbody, 3inch custom intake tube. that about it for the motor. i do have 373 in the rear with t lock and a j mod valve body with trans cooler. you can gain 20 - 30hp by blueprinting, but like i said this are calulations. plus this is coming from a guy that been building motor for 20 some years. and is pretty well know for his skills in iowa. i just want to say you'd be suprised what you gain by building your motor

well this is what u should have mentioned b4 lol u made it sound like u were stock and didnt mention any motor work

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i know i should of and that my fault. i need to find a dyno place around here. i might have to take it to kansas city.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i have this book, its' called how to build max- performance 4.6- liter ford engine. and it's mainly all sean hyland stuff, great book you can get it at barnes and nobles for about $16. but any ways what i was gonna ask is they perfer setting the gap a .035 inch on a na motor, say could be a real possibility of miss fires with high cylinder pressures. ahs any one tired this? i'm really concidering trying it should hurt my motor. cause my motor sometimes does misfire at high cyclinder pressure. i was just thinking out getting accel coil packs and wires and be down with it maybe get a proper tune for spark timing. should be ok that way ?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
so you are claiming 265-270 HP at the wheels or at the crank?......if at the wheels, i'd initially find that hard to believe with stock NPI cams and a 95/95 intake manifold in conjunction with the crap air/fuel ratio and spark advance being commaned by an untuned EEC

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
ok i have this book, its' called how to build max- performance 4.6- liter ford engine. and it's mainly all sean hyland stuff, great book you can get it at barnes and nobles for about $16. but any ways what i was gonna ask is they perfer setting the gap a .035 inch on a na motor, say could be a real possibility of miss fires with high cylinder pressures. ahs any one tired this? i'm really concidering trying it should hurt my motor. cause my motor sometimes does misfire at high cyclinder pressure. i was just thinking out getting accel coil packs and wires and be down with it maybe get a proper tune for spark timing. should be ok that way ?
lets not even get started with the SHM stuff here....lol

gaps that small are for blown engines...not N/A

how do you know for a fact it is misfiring due to high cylinder pressures?.....do you have multi-million dollar equipment to graph a pressure-trace of the cylinder like Ford does?.....or are you just guessing?.....fact is, a lot of N/A guys with genuinely very powerful motors are running stock ignitions with stock-gapped plugs

a gap that small could be causing the misfire even.....a smaller gap produces a smaller initial flame kernal to initiate combustion and thus proper cylinder pressures may not be generated at the right time (too late IOW) to produce max engine torque, since the piston could already be running away from the burning intake charge

i say you need to look elsewhere and do basic trouble shooting to eliminate your misfires

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well see like i said i'm not to sure, i do know motors degrade a little with accersory drag and going all the way through the drive line. and i'm not sure if the saying for stock motors 210 at wheels or what. and yes i did have to advance the timing one the motor to compensate for untuned computer. cause when i put motor in and started it up it ran like crap. so i had to pull the front cover off and advance it. but i should get it tuned to see the most potential. but i'm about ready to pull it again and do head swap. and some other stuff.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i was just gonna try it to see what it would do, well this is what my car does at about 4200-5000 it kinda cuts out alittle then it comes out of it, see i was either thinking it dumping to much fuel and not enough spark to burn.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts