TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there experience has been to like/dislike the MSD DIS ignitions. I am thinking of installing one. Also where is a good place to mount it?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think they are good as they do boost the spark for boosted and NOS applications, but as far as reliability/ problems , they really suck! Ya wanna play with one I'll sell a used, factory rebuilt box , new harness and 3 tach adapters for $50 bucks, postage included (they tell ya you need the tach adapters after the fact, and they are half the problems) at least 2 adapters will be good, and you save a lotta expense for trying out something that just left me unhappy as heck... Also the White Bros . (nascar guys) say that MSD Boxes are sensitive to arc welding, and dont even have them in the same room where arc welding is going on, as they "go flat" and dont work as advertised.... They come with a bypass plug for a darn good reason , as i found out halfway thru a 1200 mi trip on a roadside, in the rain and dark, with icy rain runnin down my butt crack with a flashlight in my teeth doing the bypass trick as one of the Tach adapters was acting up... I actually am not complaining about the second one that caught on fire, and allmost took out my glass hood , ergo the rebuilt box... I am currently running an Ignition Solutions Plasma Booster ign. on my blown setup, but i dont thionk it really does much.. dyno indicates 3 hp less with it running , contrary to the plus 15 hp the magazine sez, but at least its a breeze to install, and cannot screw up things like a MSD DIS-4... I suspect you get a few more hp with the MSD when its running right , but the cost per hp is astronomical if you buy a new one.... face it i just dont like MSD... and some posts also complain about their coils reliability, go figure

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I've never heard good reviews from knowledgeable people about any aftermarket ignition for our cars except the KB-boost-a-spark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts