TCCoA Forums banner

MSD Pack (coilspacks, 8.5mm (red)wires,plugs)

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Rob 
#1 ·
I saw this msd package on jegs.com for 329. I was wondering has anyone ran msd on there car?
Are the C-packs a decent upgrade over stock?
Msd vs Frpp 9mm wires? Are the plugs they provide worth anything?
Waste of money:zdunno:

#5 ·
A common acronym for MSD is My Spark Disappeared.

The coils for these cars that MSD makes tend to be less reliable than the factory coils.

#6 ·
It's not just the Ford coils either. They are well known in the GM 3800 realm to be junk as well. Stock coils for sure.

#8 ·
My guess is they would work fine. Livewire is supposed to be the best; I have 9mm FRPP wires on my cars.

#10 ·
Was on the Corral.net forum and all the Stang guys swear by Firecore 50 wires.... said "I would never go back to msd or frpp" "Much better response".....Gimmick's? Hmmm Idk... Maybe wires are just wires, but im kinda picky and want the car to run FuLL potential:zdunno:

#13 ·
I think a lot of the "Brand XX is SO much better than the old YY's I had!" is due to the newness of Brand XX.

That is, 100,000 miles on FRPP wires on a motor tossing oil and non-maintained, and almost ANY wires will improve the spark.

Or new E3 plugs and old 100,000 mile coppers - yep, the E3s help HP and gas mileage. True test would be to tune up with each technology spark plug, run 10,000 miles on a dyno or other unit that can even out the driving, and check HP and fuel economy. But eh.

I'm with RobertP on this. FRPP wires and factory coils will take you far past what OEM mechanicals in the motor will.

RwP

#17 ·
You just use them cause they look 'pretty' up under there! :D

#16 ·
OP, are you having any problems with spark right now?

#18 ·
I have screamin demon coils from LRS with motorcraft 8mm wires. I would be running stock but my ex wife bought me them. They say to open spark gap to 0.060". I saw no difference other than my slight miss went away from changing the wires. My coilpacks had ~290k miles on them then.

#19 ·
Are the Screamin Demon coils Blue?

#20 ·
Nah they're black. You can see them on latemodelrestoration.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.