TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone all the way from Ireland! 🇮🇪 You may have seen my shots of the bird in Belfast in the Facebook group.

I picked up my 95 T-Bird a few months back, the cars low mileage has cosmetic imperfections but drives really really well. It's lowered on Bilstein all round with H&R springs and will be switching out my wheel and tyre setup over the winter.

Now here's the thing, I hate driving auto. Autos are fairly uncommon here outside of general euro luxury cars, a large majority drive manual, I've had 8 cars since I learned to drive about 7 years ago and every single one was either manual or manual converted.

Now there has been a big struggle finding a suitable manual for the swap, most people who import US spec cars go for the autos, making manual boxes quite rare in those, I had looked at a TR3650 but it was going to €1600 for JUST shipping, not including the box itself, and at that price I could nearly just buy a T56 mag.

I can get a T45 fairly easily which reading on here doesn't seem like too horrible of a swap, but I can also pick up an MT82 (as they were used in several vehicles all the way from 2004 to 2019) and do a full rebuild/upgrade on one that for less than the cost of the T45 in the first place, has anyone done an MT82 swap in an MN12 chassis? Having an extra gear (even if it's just overdrive) would be nice over the T45 and the cost difference is pretty sweet to my wallet too.

Any advice, greatly appreciated!

Slán mo chara

Attachments

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,716 Posts
The 4R70w bellhousing is one piece with the transmission case and not removable. Coyote powered Mustangs use the MT82 and a retrofit from one of those would physically be very similar to swapping in a 05-10 TR3650, but using one from a different application may prove challenging

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I can tell the units are physically the same minus a change in bellhousing, I had seen someone swap a gen 2 coyote in a Land Rover Defender 90 using the original MT82, with a swapped bellhousing and rebuild kit

So this looks to be promising! I may go see about buying one and compare P/Ns to the Mustang units

·
Super Moderator
9,270 Posts
First off, let me say you will not be disappointed with a manual swap, regardless of which trans you choose. A manual trans, in my opinion, is the single best mod you can do to improve the driving experience in a 4.6 car. If you can find a MT82 trans out of a 2011+ 5.0 Mustang, that will be one of the easiest manual swaps for these cars. That trans has an integral bell housing, so you won’t be able to swap bell housings around, but the 2011+ 5.0 used the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 4.6, so it should bolt right up. That swap will require a custom driveshaft, and you will have to get a signal converter to adapt the magnetic pickup speedo signal to work with the tbird ECM and speedo. However once you overcome those hurdles, it is a direct bolt-in swap. A TR-3650 from a 05-10 Mustang with a 4.6 will be a very similar install. That trans is only a 5-speed instead of a 6-speed, but the MT82 was not really liked by most Mustang owners, and even resulted in a class-action lawsuit against Ford for it, so while it would probably be less of an issue behind the 205hp 4.6 than the 400hp 5.0, it is something to consider.

As a side note, I know there are significant differences in the cars you get over there, but I don’t think the MT82 was used in anything other than the 2011+ Mustangs. I did an LS swap into a Defender 90, and and those used the R380 trans, or the LT77 in older ones, both of which are very different from the MT82, and from the research I did for that swap, I know the euro spec Defender90 also got the same transmission, at least until 1995 when we stopped getting them over here.

Reactions: supergordo

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
I think most guys will agree with me that currently the clutch pedal is a little difficult to locate unless you engineer your own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So did a little more reading there tonight while on my night shift. Apparently the gearbox internally is the same, it would be possible to get one of my welder friends to do a one off piece for myself.

The biggest difference between the two is the ratios of 1st and 2nd gear, with being geared for a diesel, the ratios on the first two gears are insanely different, but the 3rd-6th is about .01-.03 length difference. I got in contact with the guys who made the MT82 so waiting to hear how exactly they managed to do it, as the article I read said they used the Land Rover MT82 with a converted bellhousing and swaps of first and second gear internally, along with an input shaft and output shaft change to handle an increase in torque over the stock diesel engine.

So basically, this is looking promising! Hopefully I can come back with updates soon, I've looked at using a Saab 900 clutch pedal as they were hydraulic activated, but will likely fab something up myself.

Labour costs here are far far less than the US which is lucky, and we have lots of insane car builds due to a big drift and rally scene.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can imagine!
First off, let me say you will not be disappointed with a manual swap, regardless of which trans you choose. A manual trans, in my opinion, is the single best mod you can do to improve the driving experience in a 4.6 car.
I can definitely imagine! I love my T-bird, it's the only one I know of on the island so making into my own is a priority, a manual swap and gears is high on my list. Then in future I may go with a turbo or two and a T56 swap :cool:

·
Registered
1996 Mercury Cougar XR-7
12 Posts
We are running 4.6L motor with a T45 out of a 1996 Mustang.
We used/modified the clutch pedal, pedal box, cam, cable, throw-out arm, transmission, clutch, and pressure plate all out of the Mustang.

The major issue we ran into when performing this swap on our LeMons car was getting a clutch pedal to work. We extensively modified our brake pedal assembly to graft the cable clutch pedal assembly out of a Mustang onto it. Getting the pedal in a usable position that has the correct travel for the cable and get it all routed around the massive brake booster was well over a weekends worth of trial and error.

The shifter will end up about 10" forward of where the auto shifter sits.

You will also need to shorten the drive shaft by 0.5-1.0". The MN12 cross-member can be re-used by just slotting a few holes.

You will have to remove the IAC or else it will try and hold rpm and generally act unpredictably. We glued the PNDRL sensor into either park or neutral, can't remember which. Not the right way to do it but it works good enough on the race car and didn't require an expensive tune.

Clutch cable routing on the PS of the brake booster.

Clutch Cable routing on PS of brake booster, getting this lined up with the cam on the pedal to get a straight pull thru the firewall was rather difficult. the clutch cable in this picture is the black plastic cable that has a yellow zip tie around it in the bottom of the image.

This image shows the cam for the clutch cable has been moved to the PS of the steering column to get around the brake booster. You can see the bolt we are using to limit the pedal travel and reduce over extending the throw-out arm.

This image shows the mustang cable clutch pedal box grafted onto the MN12 brake pedal box

This is where the pedals end up sitting in the car, there is still plenty of room to the left of the clutch pedal for a dead pedal. The brake pedal pad was moved to better fit between the other pedals. The Mustang clutch pedal was also cut and the angle changed to allow the needed travel while keeping it roughly in line with the other pedals. The Mustang indexing between the clutch pedal and the Cam was not correct and the pedal would hit the floor before you could get a full pull on the cable.

This picture shows where the shifter of the T45 comes thru the floor. we have a 6" swan neck on the shifter to get it to a position where it can be reached by the driver.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
The later Mustang transmissions and parts line up better, but this looks good! Whatever works, in a racecar!

Reactions: Kidd-7
1 - 10 of 10 Posts