TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,270 Posts
First off, let me say you will not be disappointed with a manual swap, regardless of which trans you choose. A manual trans, in my opinion, is the single best mod you can do to improve the driving experience in a 4.6 car. If you can find a MT82 trans out of a 2011+ 5.0 Mustang, that will be one of the easiest manual swaps for these cars. That trans has an integral bell housing, so you won’t be able to swap bell housings around, but the 2011+ 5.0 used the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 4.6, so it should bolt right up. That swap will require a custom driveshaft, and you will have to get a signal converter to adapt the magnetic pickup speedo signal to work with the tbird ECM and speedo. However once you overcome those hurdles, it is a direct bolt-in swap. A TR-3650 from a 05-10 Mustang with a 4.6 will be a very similar install. That trans is only a 5-speed instead of a 6-speed, but the MT82 was not really liked by most Mustang owners, and even resulted in a class-action lawsuit against Ford for it, so while it would probably be less of an issue behind the 205hp 4.6 than the 400hp 5.0, it is something to consider.

As a side note, I know there are significant differences in the cars you get over there, but I don’t think the MT82 was used in anything other than the 2011+ Mustangs. I did an LS swap into a Defender 90, and and those used the R380 trans, or the LT77 in older ones, both of which are very different from the MT82, and from the research I did for that swap, I know the euro spec Defender90 also got the same transmission, at least until 1995 when we stopped getting them over here.

Reactions: supergordo
1 - 1 of 1 Posts