TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had my t bird dropped off at my house...looks nice just needs to be washed and waxed.

i was wondering..if i cut off the mufflers out back how much pipe or how long of a tip would i need to fit in place of them and what is the diameter of the stock pipes?

thanks

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i think the stock pipes maybe 2 1/4 use a tape measurer and measure the diameter of it just to be safe

if i were you i would simply cut the exhaust pipes right after the bend in the rear

i'll get a pic of my s/c and post the image for you

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i was just listening to your video on youtube....i kinda like the way it sounds. its just temporary anyway, i hate the stock exhaust.

i want tips like the ones you have in the video...not the turndowns. what kind of tips are they..were the rubbing the bumper at all?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
the sound of it on a daily commute, between 1200 and 3000 rpm's it drones like crazy
ill second that! heres an in car vid of my 95 with everything unbolted from the resonator back.. enjoy (oh and i hope you arent wearing headphones..)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i282.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/StickySilverTbird_95/DSCF5649.flv">

**edit**oh and ignore the boost guage..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
drone is my friend lol....i know im crazy but i like drone noise, doesnt bother me one bit.

i got corsa straight pipes my escalade, love the sound. basicly sounds like this...(this is not me btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDNxEt0HhE

your 16 and drive a 08 escalade?? oh and a lot of things don't bother you when you are 16, most ppl on here that say they hate drone are 20's and up and have had many exhaust setups and realize drone sucks lol not bashing your young age by any means

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
, most ppl on here that say they hate drone are 20's and up and have had many exhaust setups and realize drone sucks
well if you really want me to be 2 years older... :rolleyes: :rofl: i wouldnt mind,... lol then i might actually look my age :tongue: boo for drone.. lol i hate my exhaust.. yea it scares the hell out of ricers but its annoying as **** to me.. but i have to leave it off other wise my car wont run (clogged cats...)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your 16 and drive a 08 escalade?? oh and a lot of things don't bother you when you are 16, most ppl on here that say they hate drone are 20's and up and have had many exhaust setups and realize drone sucks lol not bashing your young age by any means
yep i drive a 08 escalade lol.....and yeah the no mufflers is just temporary until i start doin some serious mods i dont wanna put a ton of money into a true dual 2.5 system yet i just want somethin that sounds mean(er) than the stock exhaust without spending much.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
I had it for about a month before the drone drove me crazy. And I thought it wouldn't bother me because my jeep is ungodly loud, but no...I hated it. Loud exhaust and droney exhaust are two very different things.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I'll 2nd what alpine says. I have had a VERY loud exhaust. 351 with 2.5inch exhaust to Glass Packs. No cats. Mother was very very loud but there was no drone in it. It actually was very pleasant on road trips cuz at 80 you could hear the exhaust and not cuz of drone. Just cuz it was loud. It was actually a great cruising car. we'll see how loud my Tbird is when I get it finsihed.

As for the mufflers... I cut them off my 96 cougar cuz I wanted louder exhaust. It sounds like totall ass. I'm not going to lie. And it drones inside VERY VERY BADLY. At first I was like whatever I can deal with it... yeah 1.5 weeks later I was saving up for a custom exhaust cuz I couldn't stand it at all. if you wanna get louder buy a set of borlas or something and have a custom exhaust made up that deletes the 3rd cat. or find a cheap cat back exhaust and swap out hte mufflers. The pipes going into the mufflers are actually slightly smaller than 2 inches. Do what you want but I'm telling you it sounds like total poo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if i just cut off the muffler would glasspacks with turndown tips fit in place of them using the same process as just going with straight pipes?(like the hangars and clamps etc...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
if i just cut off the muffler would glasspacks with turndown tips fit in place of them using the same process as just going with straight pipes?(like the hangars and clamps etc...
youll get tired of the glasspacks fairly quickly too... i had a set of 50/50 generic glasspacks on my F150 and a month later i went with a magnaflow Di/Do because the drone was so bad.. if anything theres a Cherrybomb Di/Do muffler that give you that loud "big cam" sound.. but the only place ive found it was midas.. go to midas buy the muffler, cut your third cat off and have an exhaust shop mid mount the cherrybomb and run it back.. its sounds badass.. i have it on my 96 and i get people asking me what kinda of cams i have whenever i drive it..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
does midas do good exhaust work ive never gone to them for much...if they do i might just have that done. do you have a sound clip of your setup like that?

i wanna do true duals eventually, my shop was gonna do it next week, but i dont feel like puttin big bucks into this car right now...

and i still would like to know if i got 18" glasspacks would that work with the same proccess as just putting the 18 inch tubing there with tips

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i just deleted my mufflers on my 95 mark 8 and it isn't THAT bad. there is a little drone but nothing to cry about. its still not loud enough for me though. so tomorrow the resonator is coming out and im putting a straight pipe in. dame mufflers were huge though lol

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
youll get tired of the glasspacks fairly quickly too... i had a set of 50/50 generic glasspacks on my F150 and a month later i went with a magnaflow Di/Do because the drone was so bad.. if anything theres a Cherrybomb Di/Do muffler that give you that loud "big cam" sound.. but the only place ive found it was midas.. go to midas buy the muffler, cut your third cat off and have an exhaust shop mid mount the cherrybomb and run it back.. its sounds badass.. i have it on my 96 and i get people asking me what kinda of cams i have whenever i drive it..

don't touch the 3rd cat if you have visual inspections when the emissions test is done. and if not, then still don't touch it unless you know your front 2 cats are working well enough. just a heads up. but if no one looks and they work great, then hack away.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts