TCCoA Forums banner

muffler delete 96 t bird

4K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Grog6 
#1 ·
i just had my t bird dropped off at my house...looks nice just needs to be washed and waxed.

i was wondering..if i cut off the mufflers out back how much pipe or how long of a tip would i need to fit in place of them and what is the diameter of the stock pipes?

thanks

#11 ·
your 16 and drive a 08 escalade?? oh and a lot of things don't bother you when you are 16, most ppl on here that say they hate drone are 20's and up and have had many exhaust setups and realize drone sucks lol not bashing your young age by any means

#14 ·
I had it for about a month before the drone drove me crazy. And I thought it wouldn't bother me because my jeep is ungodly loud, but no...I hated it. Loud exhaust and droney exhaust are two very different things.

#15 ·
I'll 2nd what alpine says. I have had a VERY loud exhaust. 351 with 2.5inch exhaust to Glass Packs. No cats. Mother was very very loud but there was no drone in it. It actually was very pleasant on road trips cuz at 80 you could hear the exhaust and not cuz of drone. Just cuz it was loud. It was actually a great cruising car. we'll see how loud my Tbird is when I get it finsihed.

As for the mufflers... I cut them off my 96 cougar cuz I wanted louder exhaust. It sounds like totall ass. I'm not going to lie. And it drones inside VERY VERY BADLY. At first I was like whatever I can deal with it... yeah 1.5 weeks later I was saving up for a custom exhaust cuz I couldn't stand it at all. if you wanna get louder buy a set of borlas or something and have a custom exhaust made up that deletes the 3rd cat. or find a cheap cat back exhaust and swap out hte mufflers. The pipes going into the mufflers are actually slightly smaller than 2 inches. Do what you want but I'm telling you it sounds like total poo.

#17 ·
youll get tired of the glasspacks fairly quickly too... i had a set of 50/50 generic glasspacks on my F150 and a month later i went with a magnaflow Di/Do because the drone was so bad.. if anything theres a Cherrybomb Di/Do muffler that give you that loud "big cam" sound.. but the only place ive found it was midas.. go to midas buy the muffler, cut your third cat off and have an exhaust shop mid mount the cherrybomb and run it back.. its sounds badass.. i have it on my 96 and i get people asking me what kinda of cams i have whenever i drive it..

#18 · (Edited)
does midas do good exhaust work ive never gone to them for much...if they do i might just have that done. do you have a sound clip of your setup like that?

i wanna do true duals eventually, my shop was gonna do it next week, but i dont feel like puttin big bucks into this car right now...

and i still would like to know if i got 18" glasspacks would that work with the same proccess as just putting the 18 inch tubing there with tips

#19 ·
i just deleted my mufflers on my 95 mark 8 and it isn't THAT bad. there is a little drone but nothing to cry about. its still not loud enough for me though. so tomorrow the resonator is coming out and im putting a straight pipe in. dame mufflers were huge though lol

#24 ·
i wish i did... id have it plastered all over every webpage i could get my hands on.. lol
no sadly i had to leave my 96 tbird with my grandfather in tennessee because i cant afford the insurance on both of them here in florida..

#25 ·
ahh i c...well ill go to midas monday and check it out..see what they have. i was just on their website lookin at their performance exhaust link and it says most midas' carry flowbastards....i cant stand the sound of them so if thats all they have im wanna go with glasspacks, if i find out it will work.

i dont see a problem in it as long as the muffler is 18 inches long like the tubing would be. i heard one with glasspacks and it was much more mellow and not raspy like straight pipes, i liked the sound much better. and hedman hedders makes the 18" glasspack that i think will work

#26 ·
Midas will not do custom exhaust systems... they will put some flow masters or something on there but they will only replace the actual exhaust system with stock. Single down the middle type thing. I would find a back woods mechanic shop and have them do it. thats what I did. I already had the mufflers and they charged me about 110 bux to bend the pipes and hang them all. They cut off the 3rd cat and just attached it thee. I highly recommend an H Pipe or X pipe.

#27 ·
i never said get it done at midas.. just buy the muffler..

#28 ·
Check out Advance Auto and Murray's; they have some cherry bomb stuff as well; usually pretty cheap. If you want some extra rumble on the cheap, try removing the 3rd cat and resonator, replace it with a glasspack and delete the rear mufflers. Most say it sound good, but I find it a bit "droney".

#33 ·
your still not really getting this.. cut off your 3rd cat.. yes theres going to be 2 inlets but you could get a Di/So muffler and mount it where the 3rd cat used to be.. and then just cut off the stock mufflers and replace them with straight pipe..

#35 ·
I hope you eventually decided against this. I chopped my mufflers off, and I instantly regretted it. Now, I must buy some super quiet mufflers to have a shop weld on for me. Those modular engines should never have been used. I long for the pushrod days!

The pipe going straight into the mufflers is 2-inch.

Deleting ones mufflers is sort of idiot-proof, but here's a quick guide just in case. It kinda sounds like butt afterwards, but its all a matter of opinion:
http://www.cintcc.com/assets/tech/muffler_delete.html
I hacked mine off yesterday. It took more time to mess with the extension cord than it did to nix the muffs. I HATE the exhaust note on these modular engines. I can't wait for someone else to own my '97 V8 TBird. I must have pushrods!

#36 ·
You have a long tubular tunnel that splits into two tunnels with sound waves bouncing around all the way thru them. Why did you think it would sound like anything but shi%%?

You don't have to go quiet. You can put some nice Super Turbo mufflers, or Borlas on there. Should make it sound nice.

Al

#38 ·
Check the Video/Audio Sticky up above, unfortunately a lot of the posts are victims of Photobucket and have broken links but YouTube videos seem to be fine.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.