TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
youll get tired of the glasspacks fairly quickly too... i had a set of 50/50 generic glasspacks on my F150 and a month later i went with a magnaflow Di/Do because the drone was so bad.. if anything theres a Cherrybomb Di/Do muffler that give you that loud "big cam" sound.. but the only place ive found it was midas.. go to midas buy the muffler, cut your third cat off and have an exhaust shop mid mount the cherrybomb and run it back.. its sounds badass.. i have it on my 96 and i get people asking me what kinda of cams i have whenever i drive it..
and do you by chance know the model name of the muffler? or do you think midas's website would have it?

and do you by chance know the model name of the muffler? or do you think midas's website would have it?
i only found it by walk in.. just walk in to your local midas and ask them if they have the cherrybomb Di/Do muffler

i wish i did... id have it plastered all over every webpage i could get my hands on.. lol
no sadly i had to leave my 96 tbird with my grandfather in tennessee because i cant afford the insurance on both of them here in florida..

Discussion starter · #25 ·
ahh i c...well ill go to midas monday and check it out..see what they have. i was just on their website lookin at their performance exhaust link and it says most midas' carry flowbastards....i cant stand the sound of them so if thats all they have im wanna go with glasspacks, if i find out it will work.

i dont see a problem in it as long as the muffler is 18 inches long like the tubing would be. i heard one with glasspacks and it was much more mellow and not raspy like straight pipes, i liked the sound much better. and hedman hedders makes the 18" glasspack that i think will work

Midas will not do custom exhaust systems... they will put some flow masters or something on there but they will only replace the actual exhaust system with stock. Single down the middle type thing. I would find a back woods mechanic shop and have them do it. thats what I did. I already had the mufflers and they charged me about 110 bux to bend the pipes and hang them all. They cut off the 3rd cat and just attached it thee. I highly recommend an H Pipe or X pipe.

Midas will not do custom exhaust systems... they will put some flow masters or something on there but they will only replace the actual exhaust system with stock. Single down the middle type thing. I would find a back woods mechanic shop and have them do it. thats what I did. I already had the mufflers and they charged me about 110 bux to bend the pipes and hang them all. They cut off the 3rd cat and just attached it thee. I highly recommend an H Pipe or X pipe.
i never said get it done at midas.. just buy the muffler..

Check out Advance Auto and Murray's; they have some cherry bomb stuff as well; usually pretty cheap. If you want some extra rumble on the cheap, try removing the 3rd cat and resonator, replace it with a glasspack and delete the rear mufflers. Most say it sound good, but I find it a bit "droney".

loud!!

Hello

My 351W is too loud. I wish I had Mufflers.
At 6000rpm Open pipes, dumping out the sides. soo loud I can barely hear my scanner, with headphones & Helmet on.

I can hear during cautions when not touching the gas.

Paul

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Check out Advance Auto and Murray's; they have some cherry bomb stuff as well; usually pretty cheap. If you want some extra rumble on the cheap, try removing the 3rd cat and resonator, replace it with a glasspack and delete the rear mufflers. Most say it sound good, but I find it a bit "droney".
for now im not gonna mess with the cats..eventually i will. im just gonna find somethin i can do in my garage....cutting off the mufflers is easy enough, i just gotta find something that sounds nice that will go in place of them.

your still not really getting this.. cut off your 3rd cat.. yes theres going to be 2 inlets but you could get a Di/So muffler and mount it where the 3rd cat used to be.. and then just cut off the stock mufflers and replace them with straight pipe..

i just had my t bird dropped off at my house...looks nice just needs to be washed and waxed.

i was wondering..if i cut off the mufflers out back how much pipe or how long of a tip would i need to fit in place of them and what is the diameter of the stock pipes?

thanks
I hope you eventually decided against this. I chopped my mufflers off, and I instantly regretted it. Now, I must buy some super quiet mufflers to have a shop weld on for me. Those modular engines should never have been used. I long for the pushrod days!

The pipe going straight into the mufflers is 2-inch.

Deleting ones mufflers is sort of idiot-proof, but here's a quick guide just in case. It kinda sounds like butt afterwards, but its all a matter of opinion:
http://www.cintcc.com/assets/tech/muffler_delete.html
I hacked mine off yesterday. It took more time to mess with the extension cord than it did to nix the muffs. I HATE the exhaust note on these modular engines. I can't wait for someone else to own my '97 V8 TBird. I must have pushrods!

You have a long tubular tunnel that splits into two tunnels with sound waves bouncing around all the way thru them. Why did you think it would sound like anything but shi%%?

You don't have to go quiet. You can put some nice Super Turbo mufflers, or Borlas on there. Should make it sound nice.

Al

Because I've done it on a hundred old pushrod V8s (big block and small block alike...Ford and dodge) with much satisfaction. Do you really thing Borlas can salvage it? Do you know of a link to a sound byte? You have sparked my curiosity.

Check the Video/Audio Sticky up above, unfortunately a lot of the posts are victims of Photobucket and have broken links but YouTube videos seem to be fine.

Joe

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.