TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know muffler placement can make a world of difference for exhaust note. Mustangs mufflers are under the middle of the car. That makes about 4 more feet for the exhaust note to travel through. I heard a mustang with 50s on it and I loved it. Im thingking about putting some 50s in the stock locations but exit the tips on opposite sides. So that gives me about 2 to 3 feet of pipe for the sound to travel through before exit. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Interesting idea. While I believe it won't be worth the hassle, I am in favor of saying "try it out and see.....then let us know".

Keep in mind that the stock muffs in the stock MN12 location are fairly short...then figure that really sharp bend that the stock pipes make in order to arrive at the muff's inlet. Not a ton of room there to work with unless you position the mufflers in another fashion beside fore/aft.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It wont flow very well. I wouldnt do it but as Kim said try it out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind that the stock muffs in the stock MN12 location are fairly short...then figure that really sharp bend that the stock pipes make in order to arrive at the muff's inlet. Not a ton of room there to work with unless you position the mufflers in another fashion beside fore/aft.
Yall make some good points. Something to think about. A friend of mine gets his exhaust done on his donks from this mexican guy at his house and he's good. You just gotta bring him the materials. Maybe he could figure something out. Turn the mufflers sideways (parallel to the rear bumpers) or something. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Yall make some good points. Something to think about. A friend of mine gets his exhaust done on his donks from this mexican guy at his house and he's good. You just gotta bring him the materials. Maybe he could figure something out. Turn the mufflers sideways (parallel to the rear bumpers) or something. Oh well.
You know, if you really, Really, REALLY want your car to sound like a Mustang - sell the 'bird and get a Mustang!

The chassis is longer, it will affect exhaust tone by that alone. The placement of the mufflers is different, that affects it also. The bends of the pipes are different, that affects it also.

All in all, if John Smith down the street has a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V that sounds exactly like you want, you need a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V with the exact same mods he has. And it STILL may not sound EXACTLY like his.

RwP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, if you really, Really, REALLY want your car to sound like a Mustang - sell the 'bird and get a Mustang!

The chassis is longer, it will affect exhaust tone by that alone. The placement of the mufflers is different, that affects it also. The bends of the pipes are different, that affects it also.

All in all, if John Smith down the street has a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V that sounds exactly like you want, you need a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V with the exact same mods he has. And it STILL may not sound EXACTLY like his.

RwP
Round of applause for Captain Obvious

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I had flowmaster 50s in the stock locations a few years ago with very short pipes with tips coming out the back. They were expensive, quiet, and scraped on everything. They really do transfer less noise inside the car, less than a 40 series for sure. I hacked them off and threw them in the scrap when I got my magnaflow. Magnaflow with x just makes too much sense to not do ;)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've heard a couple magnaflow mufflers on a tbird and they all sounded really quiet.. Idk maybe they just put magnaflows on the stock exhaust but it was barely louder than stock. I assume with a full 2.5 in exhaust system it would be louder.. I hope.. Maybe someone has some exhaust clips of theirs..

To the OP, Someone here has done a camaro like set up where both pipes run through one big muffler and this gives it a little extra pipe to flow through before coming out the back.. might want to look into that..

Edit here it is.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6JD-ht4XHo

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts