TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does flowmaster make a dual in single out muffler? i know they make single in dual out muffler. on their site, they have the black arrows indicating the direction of exhaust flow. can the single in dual out muffler be turned around to make a dual in single out muffler, or will doing that mess up the muffler or make the exhaust sound bad? does it matter which way the muffler is installed?

BTW, today i was quoted $160 to repalce all my stock pipes from cats back with 2.25" piping and flowmaster (that i will provide) in the middle and duals out the back with chrome tips. pretty good deal for a college boy :D , i just hope that they do a good job.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
big mike said:

BTW, today i was quoted $160 to repalce all my stock pipes from cats back with 2.25" piping and flowmaster (that i will provide) in the middle and duals out the back with chrome tips. pretty good deal for a college boy :D , i just hope that they do a good job.
That's a good price!

I don't really know about the mufflers-- I think Flowmasters need to flow a certain way for them to flow as intended. If you find a GOOD exhasut shop, people there will probably know the answers to all of your questions.

PJ

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i talked to my friend yesterday he said they are flow specific.

would my exhaust sound deeper if i went with 2.5" instead of 2.25" piping? thanks.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Flowmaster only makes ONE dual in single out (what I have on my car) and it 2.25" in single 3" out. its a 50 series SUV muffler, it just barely fit in the tunnel under the car and hangs down a bit, though not too bad.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i went to a different muffler shop today and they quoted me $290. i will most likely go with the $160 job. anywho, the guy today showed me a flowmaster 40 with a 3" inlet and 2.25" dual outlets and said this would be ideal for my car. he said the bigger inlet will yield more sound. is he correct or is he just telling me this so he can make a sale? thanks.

mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
go too big on the pipe size, and you will lose low end torque.. 2.25 into 3 into 2.25 is what rancher has on his car i do believe( R, correct me if thats wrong), and he is thinking thats why he has lost quite a bit of low end torque even w/ his mods...
his car sounds pretty bad a$$, but myself i wouldnt mind something a bit quieter and less harsh.. magnaflow is what i think i am going with.. and rear mufflers too...

what all comes with that flowmaster kit thats on summit? just the muffler and the little bit of pipe shown?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went to summit racing (like 5 minutes from my house) to buy that and they said that that was a high flow resinator and sold me a 40 series 2.5" Flowmaster muffler. I cut off the resinator and I am in the process of putting the flowmaster in place of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ANYONE HAVE FLOWMASTRES

DO FLOWMASTERS SOUND GOOD ON THE 3.8? I HAVE STRAIGHT PIPED EXHAUST RIGHT NOW AND I AM THINKING ABOUT RUNNING DUAL FLOWMASTERS OUT OF THE TWO CATS WITH NO RESONATOR... HOW DOES IT SOUND?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would having a muffler with 2.5" outlet(s) give me deeper sound? if yes then which flow 40 series should i go with:

1. 2.25" inlet/2.5" single outlet
2. 2.25" inlet/2.5" dual outlets

or does outlet size not make a difference? thanks.

mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
had straight pipes before with 4' tips was loud on highway. have the full flowmasteer set up. sounds real good. has nice deep tone to it. the resonator makes the difference in the sound. am pleased with it. but was kinda pricy, but easy to install

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i would get the flow catback but 160 is a damn good deal. im just trying to pick the right muffler. should i go with 2.25" or 2.5" for outlet size? thanks.

mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
I couldnt get my flowmaster 40 series to fit right so i took it down to my local exhaust shop and they directed me to a Vortex dual in single out muffler, designed for V6s. I have 2.5 off the cats, into the dual in muffler and out 2.75, 2.75 around the gas tank, and splits off into 2, 3", 24 inch Stainless Steal tips. The shop also told me that the longer the tip and larger diameter, the better sound. They did a real nice job with the tips, only making them stick out about .5 inches. For the whole setup it ran me 379, but only 100 was labor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts