TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a trade off job with an exhaust guy, he took off the 3rd cat and the mufflers. It sounds great which is what I wanted, but it seems my passing power has really gone down. I know I need back-end pressure, but how much do you think I really lost?

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
teenageriot13 said:
I did a trade off job with an exhaust guy, he took off the 3rd cat and the mufflers. It sounds great which is what I wanted, but it seems my passing power has really gone down. I know I need back-end pressure, but how much do you think I really lost?
not sure, but i removed my mufflers and my car didnt lose any power at all. i still have all 3 cats though. you might want to put a dual in single out muffler where the 3rd cat used to be to get back some of your back preasure.

Frank

·
Registered
141 Posts
Low end torque,....thats what you lost. I'd say about 11-15 ft/lb. But chances are you gained a few ponies on the high end. Still not worth it in my opinion.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
agreed, you need sum sort of back pressure to have the torque
if you're looking at just getting a nice sounding exhaust without paying too much, replace the mufflers with some high flow one (2.25 in 2.25 out since stock piping is about 2.20 or 2.22)

·
Registered
748 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
agreed, you need sum sort of back pressure to have the torque
if you're looking at just getting a nice sounding exhaust without paying too much, replace the mufflers with some high flow one (2.25 in 2.25 out since stock piping is about 2.20 or 2.22)
AGREED!!!! Especially if the motor is stock!!!

On my stock motor (before the rebuild)--- I removed all 3 cats, went with a true dual 2.25" exhaust with mufflers (2.25" in and out), plus a 70mm TB and knocked off 2 tenths off my 1/4 mile times. This setup seemed to provide enough back pressure so I didn't loose low end TQ, but yet gave me better top end HP.

·
Registered
709 Posts
how hard would it be to replace the resonator with a flowing muffler?? Would it be quieter?? Or would the stock rez quiet things down more than a flowmaster or equal type muffler?? But I would imagine you would loose even more BP there too.

Jake

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hollowed out all 3 cats on my '95 Cat and cut the mufflers off at one time. Diddn't loose that much and kinda sounded good. But after having no mufflers and hollow cats, I put Flowmaster Delta Flow 40's on it and it was like a new mod. Now I have true duals no cats 2.5" w/ H-pipe and orig. 40s. real big gain. (by the seat of my pants)

It's flowing,

Clay

·
Registered
748 Posts
Put it on the dyno....get some numbers. Then ditch the Flowmasters for some Dyno Max Ultra Flo's or even a set of Magna Flow muffflers and see how much more you get.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not going to put it on a dyno yet. But, I am going to get the Magnaflows in place of the Flowmasters. I think they'll sound better. From what I can remember I didn't lose anything from no cats and cut off mufflers.

Clay

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah go with a dual in single out like me :D in place of the third cat, its very quiet in comparison but you really gain power all across the board

1 - 10 of 10 Posts