TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depending on what muffler i go with since im putting the dual mandrel exhaust system on my 94 thunderbird. Im leaving the two exhaust manifold cats on and just running exhaust all the way till where the stock mufflers were originally and putting the mufflers i choose there. What i was wondering would my car be louder just putting my mufflers where they are at on mustangs or not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
First try running the pipes strigh out the back, no mufflers...the cats do absorb a lot of the sound level...you just may be happy with that alone....if it's a little loud, 10" long Allied resonators will fit nicely in the oem location- and flow as well as any "high performance" mufflers for 1/2 the price, are of excellent quality, available at any muffler shop (literally), been made for at least 30 years and available in just about any diameter you would require (I have personally run these for since the 1970's....nice low rumble on accell & decell, no drone, deep tone- original set still on wifes 1997 Cougar Sport....installed two weeks after delivery!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could you post a vid so i could here what it sounds like befor i go dumping money

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=118883&page=14

Various videos throughout the thread; see post 407 for my setup with Super Turbos. There's a bit too much drone for me during acceleration and while cruising between 45ish and 73 MPH, although that will change once I get the 3.73s in. Not sure if I'll keep them or try to find a noise solution.

·
Registered
118 Posts
could you post a vid so i could here what it sounds like befor i go dumping money
Travis...sak around for a good local muffler shop, one that's been around for 20+ years, still has an oxy/acet torch sitting in the corner- you know, just have em drop the mufflers and fire it up and listen, the vids really don't give the true sound that you have both inside & outside of the car, if you like it great, if not then tell em to hold up the resonators, they literally can hold a muffler up to the pipe and you can again listen to the difference!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Muffler placement definitely has an effect on the sound. It may not be louder, but I think it gives it a deeper tone having the mid-mounted muffler.
Yes, the longer the tailpipe, the more likely higher pitched tones will be reduced as a result of longer travel and more importantly, carbon buildup which does provide some sound insulation and absorbs high pitched sound once it is built up inside the pipes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts