TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in magazines all the time performance and mod parts for the 4.6 engine in a mustang, are the 4.6's in the mustang and the ones in the birds much different from each other?... specifically intake and exhaust.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
exhaust will be totally different.

96s and 97s can use most of the 96+ stang intake stuff. 94-95s require quite afew other parts to make them work, but it can be done (and has been).

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Some are the same. When it comes to intake and exhaust it is tricky. Exhaust is a no. We have different routing then the stangs. For one, the steering colum is in the way of the stang headers fitting a tbird where as with tbird headers (stock, JBA, Kooks) it is fine.
It depends on what part of the intake you want to use. I dont remember what it was with the manifold and whether it would fit or not. You could search for it because I think it has been disscused before.
Stuff like Underdrive Pullies for 96-98 stangs will work for 94-97 birds. There are people that know a lot more then me on the engines and parts to use so maybe they will post with more detail on what parts can be used.

The newer mustangs, 99+, are different for the most part. Different heads and other parts. For the big mods you can use the heads (PI Heads) from a 99+ mustang but it is a $1000+ job.

If you have speciffic goals in mind with what you want to do with the bird, what parts you are thinking of and what kind of power you are looking for, then many of the people can narrow down suggestions for you. It is very popular for people to ask what they should do for xxx HP or to get 1x.xx 1/4 times. So check the past posts about what people have done, what parts they are using, etc.

-Shawn

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
In a mustang the brakes are hydroboost (powered by the power steering pump) and are vacuum boosted on a TBird. The mustang upper plenum (the doghouse) doesn't have a vacuum port for brakes. Otherwise its all good on the intake side (but only if you have a 96-97 TBird)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts