TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i have got my hands on a ford 8.8 28 spline traction lock posi unit out of a 1998 mustang, will this fit in my 1997 t bird? or will i have to have a little bit of mods?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes it's compatible

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
the mustang is a solid axle and the tbird has a independent rear suspension.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Chknhawk97 said:
okay, i have got my hands on a ford 8.8 28 spline traction lock posi unit out of a 1998 mustang, will this fit in my 1997 t bird? or will i have to have a little bit of mods?
Yup, and the "posi unit" is the same trac-lock in either diff. At most you may have to swap out the side gears with your stocker, so there is a slot for your circlips (on the half shafts)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You don't have to swap them out, but next time you take out the halfshafts, you may run into problems without the beveled gear. You might have to take the cover off, and remove the circlips so that they will slide out. Some have been able to get them out, while I couldn't.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply, i am hoping to get this done with in the next week! i am probably going to have to put in a new trans, due to it sucking! it drops to nuetral on a 1 to 2 shift under hard accel so I have my saturday planned out it looks like. thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
As per the factory workshop information cd, the trak lok case, and all internal components are the same in the irs as in the solid differential. I'm in the process of doing the same thing, rebuild the trak lok, going with 373's.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You should have gotten one out of a SC :D easier..

·
Registered
303 Posts
ive had the same problem since i got my tranny re-built, they fixed it multiple times and it still would slip under hard accel. they put in a stage 2 trans-go kit over the stage 1 two months ago, and it stopped, but today i hit the gas and it slipped again, im getting sick of bringing it back to the shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts