TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering using a mustang air box for my supercharger setup. Will a cone filter that has a 4 inch opening that is 9 inches long fit inside. how does the back of the box seal against the filter? Can you please post some pictures.

·
Registered
986 Posts
blown96bird,

I ran a Mustang GT air box and intake tube for awhile on my previous (naturally aspirated) setup. It worked OK except that when I attempted to connect the rubber inlet on the air box to the opening in my inner fender, it buckled and was way too restrictive. I ended up removing the rubber inlet piece and running the air box with the opening turned away from the fan blast. The downside was sucking in heated engine compartment air. Sorry, no pictures.

There is a K&N filter which fits exactly inside the Mustang GT air box. Not sure about the dimensions, but 4" diameter and 9" long sounds close.

With my supercharged setup I'm using the MAC/SCP cold air kit, which places the inlet and filter in front of the wheel well liner. The downsides of this setup are that only a small filter really fits well, and the metal tubing is only 3" diameter, which I'm sure is somewhat of a restriction. A better solution would be a 3.5" replica of the MAC system, but nobody makes that.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i have the K&N stang box and a stock stang box steven

what exactly do you need to know? size of the stock filter or size of the k&n?

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
james what I was trying to find out was if the filter has a 4 inch opening to fit the maf adapter or will it bolt directly to the lightning mass air meter?

I did switch to a custom air box but I would like to use a factory piece if possible.

·
Registered
986 Posts
blown96bird,

For clarification - was your response a few notes above that I need a 4" diameter air intake pipe for my blown big bore, instead of 3.5"? There are a couple of shops in the Detroit area who may be able to make me a larger replica of the MAC system.

I'm running a 75mm BBK throttle body, which would be the smallest diameter portion of such a new system. Given that "bottleneck", would the larger diameter pipes still help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts