TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
89 Stang AOD into 88 TBird Compatible

Hey guys I just want to make sure that an 89 5.0 Mustang AOD will go into a 88 TBird 5.0 with no problem. Mine went so I just need a replacement. Thanks for the help.
-Matt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? Ive read through a few past posts, but none with the 87-88 Bird. So its a 89 5.0 AOD out of a fox body stang, going into a 88 Bird 5.0. With I still have to change the shifter linkage and possible the output shaft?
Thanks Again,
-Matt

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wouldn't think you'd have to change anything cause both the mustang and the t-bird are Fox-Body cars. They have the same chassis and should use the same tail shaft and linkage. I'm not 100% sure on that though. I know that I did a direct swap on an '86 Linc. Cont into a '91 stang 4cyl 5.0 conversion and had no problems other than taking out the 4cyl crossmembers and junk like that. I think your good to go with the stang AOD.

Clay

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The output shafts will be the same, at the most you may have to swap the linkages. With both being Fox cars, you may get real lucky and not have to do anything at all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
IF your t-bird has a floor shifter, then you will be fine. If it doesn't then you need to drop the VB, and flip over the shifter lever (or convert to a floor shift setup from a T-bird sport or 87-88 XR7). Other than that, it goes in just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks guys. It is a floor shift so it should be pretty simple.
-Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts