TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering i have a 95 t bird 4.6ltr. If i was to find a EEC from a 95 Mustang gt would it work ? And what would be the + and - about doing this. Basically will it change the timing and will it make the engine respond quicker , or will it do nothing different and or will it hurt the engine ?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It wouldn't work at all. '95 Mustang is a 5.0 with EEC-IV. Yours is EEC-V.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
why do you want to put a mustang EEC in your tbird?
yea I don't understand why either? You can have yours reprogrammed with an SCT tune. That should be able to change pretty much any parameter you want :confused:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Someone correct me on this, but don't the Mustang 4.6L EEC's have the internal ignition module/controller like the 96/97 MN12's? Unlike the 94/95 MN12's that have the external ignition module/controller? :2huh:

If so, then the 4.6L EEC won't work. :D

The only thing I can think of is that a Mustang EEC can probably be picked up for $100.... whereas a tune/chip is considerably higher. :beek:

But that's just my ramblings. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
last time i checked, the Mustang EEC had an EPROM in it, and the tbird EEC dont.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just wondering about the difference in the 2 EEC's , I was also told that there is mich you can do with the pre- OBDII eec's.

I was just looking for a way to get some cheap proformance tips.

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
1994 & 1995 Tbird EEC's are external EDIS, and for the 4.6L
1994 & 1995 Mustangs are 5.0 w/Distributers.
1996 & 1997 Tbird EEC's have interal EDIS.

Now, 1996 & 1997 Tbirds share the same "Strategy" (CDAN4) as the mustang, but I don't know if the programming (ie calibration) is the same.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
unfortunately none of what you have suggested will work without swapping wiring harnesses and that is a lot of work

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
* You could probably wire in a 1996-7 EEC into your car, but will require the following:

a) updating any sensors that the new eec uses
b) wire in such sensors
c) remove the edis module and re-route the wiring to the eec
d) re-pin the hell out of the eec connector.

I can't recall off the top of my head, but you may (or not) have to change out some stuff in the trans? not sure, I think 98 ?? again, you would need to do research)

Honestly? Find another 95 Tbird EEC :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Darrin said:
unfortunately none of what you have suggested will work without swapping wiring harnesses and that is a lot of work
I did it and it really wasn't that bad. I got the 96/97 EEC harness, transmission harness, engine harness, I think 2 connectors for the dash harnesses near the EEC and the 2 connectors for the dash side of the transmission harness.

Going off memory here, and I can't go out to the car and look since it's in MO and I'm in NY; I did some repinning on the dash harness both by the EEC and under the radio, and had to add about six wires, mostly for the O2 Sensors, I think. and I removed the dash to do it. Now I have a much cleaner engine bay (no external EDIS), and the wiring on my engine looks factory (PI Engine swap).

Also changed the TCC solenoid, upgraded to an '02 GT MAF, and had to add an evap purge solenoid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts