TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even traded my Polaris Sport Quad for this rust free '81 5.0 Mustang. Didnt even really look that good at the car because it was a such good deal. I'd like to find a Mustang forum thats as good as TCCoA. You guys have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
forums.corral.net is the one I browse.....

That car rides pretty high in the front! :zdunno:

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
foureyedpride.com is pretty good. I'm on there with my '85.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Four eye pride is the most TCCoA like of the Mustang forums(just don't ask about 87+ aero conversions lol), the regulars there are real dedicated to their cars like many of us here. The Corral is daily full of thousands of threads packed with political spam and immature morons.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Four eye pride is the most TCCoA like of the Mustang forums(just don't ask about 87+ aero conversions lol), the regulars there are real dedicated to their cars like many of us here. The Corral is daily full of thousands of threads packed with political spam and immature morons.
I'll remember that! I only use the corral for the For Sale section - I've bought several things (like my 4v Cobra intake cams) from there.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I would love to have a 4 eyed with T-Tops!

·
Registered
176 Posts
moddedmustangs.com

Corral.net

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/

Those are a few i know.

I think Modded mustangs is the best one. it covers ALL mustang. I have had alot of help from that site. Quick responces... Knowledgeable.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
It's amazing how muh a wheel change can change the personality of the car. I need to get some 20" Dayton spokes for mine, lol. I assume it runs great? Sounds like it was a hell of a good trade for you!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It runs good, missing about 250 hp but it will do for now. Lots of little things to fix along the way. Ordered a Dirty Dog converter and a Silverfox valve-body, hopefully those combined will get this little pony moving off the line abit faster.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thank God you got the coupe.

Some notes:

1. Get full-length subframe connectors as soon as possible. You'll like how the car stiffens up a bunch. Get a set that ties into the front seat/rear mounting bolts, or get the Kenny Brown Xtreme-whatever load matrix thingies. Car stiffens up reeeeally well with that setup.

2. If you're bored, check the floorboard for cracks. 1979-1985 stangs (and Capris) are horrific for this problem. Now that I think about it...they all have floor problems. If the driver's seat is moving around quite a bit, that's usually an indication of floor issues.

3. A 1982 GT nose/air dam would look absolutely sick on this car.

4. You're going to forever hate the suspension in this thing. It's that poorly-designed. I like the Maximum Motorsports torque-arm setup, if you're going to go bonkers with this car. If not, get something in an upper control arm that eliminates the bind, as the 4-link setup in these cars are forever doomed to be in a constant state of bind.

4A. Rear upper control arm mount reinforcement. You're gonna need it eventually. Yay, flimsy 35-year-old, "That's good enough" engineering.

5. The flat 5-spoke Saleen wheel would look good.

6. If you get reeeeeeeeally bored, and want a much better road car vs. drag-strip terror, the 1999-2001 Cobra IRS makes it drive soooo much better.

7. You're still doomed with the stock front strut suspension, however, although a few forays into the 1994-1995 SN95 Mustang front suspension department helps out a bit, and even gets these cars well into BMW M3 territory....at least anything E46 and down.

If I wasn't so sick of the Mustang ergonomics, and could find a decently-priced, older 4-eyed car, I might consider getting another one...but I just sold an '89 GT because I was absolutely sick of having to almost completely rebuild the entire car just to make it almost competitive with a mid-1990's Camry on braking, steering, ride quality, etc, etc.

Good luck with this car. At least you got a fairly-simple one.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Going with MM RLCAs helps tame the quadrabind's nasty quirks decently, as do rear coilovers. A lot of the aftermarket uppers tend to make it even worse since the arms themselves are actually designed to twist (yes terrible design). A MM TA/PHB combo can actually out handle(at the cost of harshness) an equivalent Cobra IRS swapped Fox

·
Registered
738 Posts
Going with MM RLCAs helps tame the quadrabind's nasty quirks decently, as do rear coilovers. A lot of the aftermarket uppers tend to make it even worse since the arms themselves are actually designed to twist (yes terrible design). A MM TA/PHB combo can actually out handle(at the cost of harshness) an equivalent Cobra IRS swapped Fox
I've been yakking with the guy who's driving the IRS-equipped in-house road course Fox at MM (they converted their Fox to the Cobra IRS, plus added all of their goodies).

His comment?

Swap.

...unless you don't plan on upgrading the IRS, as the stock bushings are garbage.

If the track is glass-smooth, it's not much of a difference...but once even the slightest bumps pop up, it's Cobra IRS all the way.

However, if you're drag-racing it...by all means, keep the solid axle.

Part of the reason why I got rid of the Mustang was the punishing ride. And if you mod the suspension, short of either IRS or the torque-arm setup...it only gets worse. Compare that to the almost glass-smooth T-bird...it's an easy problem to solve.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Check out the torque boxes also. If its been abused at all they will need work. I forget who makes them but I used something battle boxes in my 88. Supposedly the strongest around or at least back then

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
I've been yakking with the guy who's driving the IRS-equipped in-house road course Fox at MM (they converted their Fox to the Cobra IRS, plus added all of their goodies).

His comment?

Swap.

...unless you don't plan on upgrading the IRS, as the stock bushings are garbage.

If the track is glass-smooth, it's not much of a difference...but once even the slightest bumps pop up, it's Cobra IRS all the way.

However, if you're drag-racing it...by all means, keep the solid axle.

Part of the reason why I got rid of the Mustang was the punishing ride. And if you mod the suspension, short of either IRS or the torque-arm setup...it only gets worse. Compare that to the almost glass-smooth T-bird...it's an easy problem to solve.
Ah, I should have said stock Cobra IRS. Upgrading the bushings drastically helps its own inherent bind issues. The T/A PHB combo pretty much is slathered in delrin and spherical bushings out of the box(s), so its potential is pretty maxed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts