TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done a Mustang II setup on a t-bird? After market has the Mustang II setup with Big brakes and coilovers or airbags. I know some welding on front frame would be needed. What do you think?

Just think about the bigblock that would fit without shock towers in the way :D

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
The big block fits without touching the shock towers, and there are several 460 powered MN12s to prove it. The MN12 suspension is a better design off the bat than the mustang 2, as well as having more adjustability. The shock towers are also integral to the front structure of the car, so if you remove those, you make the car even less rigid, which will hurt performance across the board. Basically there is no advantage to us to convert to the mustang 2 front suspension, and it would require a lot of fab work for no gain, only to find that the front end of your car is now all over the road because you have no structure left in it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yea, I agree with Mikey. There is no reason you would want to make that swap, the SLA independent front and rear suspension designs are superior to 95% of the cars on the road, including Mustang IIs.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The Mustang II would be fine for a street/strip car that had some weight reduction done to it, and limited use on inner city chuck hole roads.

One that would be a better choice for most would be a sub frame from a Crown Vic.

The complete subframe is aluminum. I think they come from the 98-2002 CV and Mercs, but I am sure a CV guy could verify that

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
Definitely not on 89-02. I believe they started with the aluminum subframe and R&P steering in 04 or 05.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Is that a truck frame? If so, what year?

And yeah, the stock setups on the MN12/FN10's are better than many vehicles.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
That front suspension is on 2003-up Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. Some early F-100 guys are using them I think.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Beat me to it, Ed. ^^this would be correct^^

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Thanks, but I was asking what year the steel truck frame was from. :tongue:

F100 = 1953 through 1983 (I think) with many a frame change. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts